1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

When did the Queen's Guide Award start?

Discussion in 'Queens Guide' started by confusedqueen, Jun 8, 2013.

1. confusedqueen

confusedqueen Veteran (100+ posts)

I've been told my great grandmother was a Queen's Guide but I'm not convinced as I don't know if the award existed when she was a Guide. Does anyone know when the Award started? Thanks =)

2. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I have a copy of The Guides' Book of Rules from 1947 and that has the Queen's Guide award in it - it was originally an award for Guides, so it's possible that she was a Queen's Guide.

3. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

It started in 1946, so KatieW has a set of original rules for it there.

fenris likes this.
  4. bagu

bagu Veteran (100+ posts)

Yes, it was a Guide award until 1983 (last date to be awarded as a Guide 31st March 1984) when it was replaced by the B-P Trefoil and the Queen's Guide became a Senior Section award. (Well, actually the senior section term hadn't been invented as such - it was for Rangers and Young Leaders). I think at first it had to be completed by your 19th birthday.

5. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Syllabus from 1947: (sorry about the dodgy formatting)
    Queen’s Guide
    The candidate must still be a Guide when she gains the badge (being ready for the final test before her seventeenth birthday).
    1. Be a First Class Guide and hold either the Little House or Woodcraft Emblem.
    2. Be recommended by the Court of Honour and known personally to the District Commissioner, whose responsibility it is to endorse the recommendation.
    3. Be capable of a sustained effort of service, to groups or individuals, to consist of:
    (a) Regular service over a period of 12 weeks in the home, school, church or local community.
    (b) At least 12 weeks’ work for an overseas community, which could take the form of regular letter writing, or the making and collection of equipment, toys or scrapbooks, for the benefit of the community.
    (c) Three unexpected jobs given by the District Commissioner at different times in this period.
    4. Finally, take a “Be Prepared” test, arrangements for which shall be the responsibility of a Diploma’d Guider or her nominee.

From the "new" programme - 1968 handbook, 1981 revision.
    Queen’s Guide Award:
    1 Take a full part in the Promise-centred Eight Point Programme of you Patrol and your Company for at least two years. Make sufficient progress in each of the Eight Points and in your understanding and carrying out of the Promise to be awarded two Eight Point badges by your Patrol Leaders’ Council.
    (One of these must have been gained within the last twelve months)
    2 Acquire the skill and knowledge necessary to achieve your best in gaining the following Interest Badges:
    The Little House Emblem and Camper Badge, and one other badge from the Woodcraft Emblem.
    OR
    The Woodcraft Emblem or Patrol Camp Permit, and two badges from the Little House Emblem.
    Three Badges of your own choice, one taken from the Fitness Emblem, one from the Arts and Crafts Emblem, and one from the World Friendship Emblem.
    3 Prepare yourself to give service in the community through gaining the Service Emblem.
    Prove that you are carrying out your Promise to ‘serve the Queen’ by completing clauses 4 and 5.
    4 Give real service to some section of the community and, by doing so, gain the Service Flash.
    5 Increase your knowledge of the Commonwealth (of which the Queen is head) or the World (in which the Queen is seen as Head of State) by gaining the Commonwealth Badge or the World Friendship Badge.

NOTE: (i) You may not use a badge to fulfil the requirements of more than one clause.
    (ii) If you wish to go on wearing the Queen’s Guide Badge, you must keep your knowledge up to date and continue to be of service by renewing your Service Flash annually.
    (iii) If you start Guides when you are ten years old, make your Promise a month or two after joining the Company, and receive an Eight-Point Badge each year for four years at about the anniversary of your Promise Ceremony, you will have to complete the requirements for your Queen’s Guide Badge no later than just after your fifteenth birthday.
    You may complete the requirements for the Queen’s Guide Badge in the Ranger Guide Section, provided that you do so before your sixteenth birthday (see note (iii)) and that you hold at least two Eight-Point Badges from the Guide Company, one of which you gained during the last twelve months.

6. Fox

Fox Brownie-induced madness

I would have got mine in about 1980, sadly I lost my badge. I would love to be able to wear it on my badge tab, keep hoping one will come up on eBay. I didn't realise I was one of the last few years to do it as a Guide.

7. confusedqueen

In that case there is no way my great grandma was a queen's guide, unless my maths is off I reckon she would have been a Guide in the 20s. My mum has her promise badge though which is lovely, although the pin is broken. Mum has said she'll get it fixed and I can have it when I complete my Queen's Guide Award =)

8. confusedqueen

In fact, i've just done a quick bit of research and it's actually the very first guide promise badge designed, so pre-20s. Thanks for all the interesting info about Queen's Guide though everyone =)

9. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

I was '81, so even nearer the cut off - interesting reading the syllabus we did again above (saves me getting a handbook out).

10. bramblebush

bramblebush Veteran (100+ posts)

I do hope you have had your service flash renewed annually young lady or I shall be removing your QG badge forthwith!

11. Amyod

Amyod (Newbie)

Hi I am interested in this topic too. My Grandma was one of the first Queens guides which she received in 1947. But can anyone tell me why it was called a Queen's guide when there was a king at that time please? The scouts used to have a Kings award and that changed to queens scouts when elizabeth took over the throne in 1952. Thank you

12. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

As I understand it, it was named for the Kings wife (Queen Mother), which then switched to Queen Elizabeth when she became Queen. Compared to the Scouts who name it directly after the monarch. Someone better at history will hopefully be able to give better detail though!

fenris likes this.
  13. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

That's what I understand to be the case too...it will be interesting to see whether the name lives on in the next generation (as Camilla is very unlikely to be Queen, I'd have thought, anyway...)

14. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Yes, that's correct. The design of the crown on the badge changed slightly, so the early badges referring to King George VI's wife can be differentiated from those referring to Queen Elizabeth II.