1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

What are you doing/done in your units this week? Part 4

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by *gwen*, Nov 4, 2014.

1. dominoka

dominoka Beginner (10+ posts)

Rainbows - Cress Men

Guides - hoping to try the taster activity about using your phone when crossing the road (can't remember the name - I don't have the cards in front of me just now!) and tie it in with some other 'personal safety' stuff over the next 2 weeks

2. floss

floss Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I'm telling the Guides about my Trefoil Guild trip to Russia with slides and activities and food

3. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

UK Parliament week activities. The girls knew a surprising amount already, but loved acting the state opening of parliament, a debate followed by voting through the yes or no door, and a secret ballot to choose which sixer gave the best speech to become PM. They enjoyed it more than I expected

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Nano likes this.
  4. MummySquirrel

MummySquirrel Veteran (100+ posts)

Guides were asked to come up with a 'GFI' theme 'Christmas' we were pleasantly surprised by the range of activities.
    Rainbows tonight made some 'Frozen' themed tree decorations, we're displaying a tree at Waddow Hall's Tree Festival... Tonight the girls made icicles and snowflakes...and the glitter came out.

5. partygirl

partygirl Veteran (100+ posts)

At Guides we had Julie Bentley visit! We did a survival "game" called Titanic where they have various things happen to them while they are in lifeboats.

6. Nano

Nano (Newbie)

In Brownies, we are working on our Seasons badge and made star tubes to help us identify different constellations. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy to do stargazing but I showed them how to use a star wheel so hopefully we will be able to test it soon on a clearer night.

7. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

My Young Leader is in charge. She's very dancey and dramay so it will be something like that (I heard her mumbling last week saying 'i'll have to choreograph something!'

8. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

Tonight's starter (an activity lead by Sixers, in six corners, while everyone arrives) was making whizzers. Younger members may not be familiar with them - the girls certainly weren't. They're a square, circle or rectangle of strong card with 2 holes near the centre. You colour them, then make a long loop of string through the holes. You wind them up by spinning them round, then if you get a rhythm going you can keep them moving for hours. My Young Leaders had never seen them and there was much confusion that it as possible to make a toy with card and string, which didn't have batteries or an app! But they loved them, pronounced them cool, were fascinated by the whirring noise, went out showing parents at the end. Parents, of course, remembered them from their own days and started playing while the girls were getting shoes and coats. A good time was had by all!

MiniMoates and Batty Owl like this.
  9. MummySquirrel

Last night we tested an Explorer Skills Builder (Guides). Girls pulled their faces when we told them, however once they got into it, they seemed to enjoy it. It was a map reading, 6 figure grid references. Haven't had chance to read their feedback sheets yet!! Older ones got it, younger ones struggled although I think were beginning to understand.This was a Stage 3 so would be interesting to know what comes before.
    Tonight at Rainbows we are making tree decorations card circles with wool wound round and I'm sure they'll talk about our meal out at a restaurant last Friday.

10. dominoka

dominoka Beginner (10+ posts)

Last Week:
    Rainbows - Made a Santa Decoration out of paper plates

Guides - Christmas Craft Night - brought out the craft box and they made various card/decorations out of whatever they could find!

Tonight:
    Rainbows - Christmas Party - Party games (musical statues etc), party tea (juice, a bun and a few crisps) and a special visitor in a red suit!

Guides - Christmas Minute to Win It and musical games

Then we are off until 9th January! Heaven!

11. ker-stee

We made snowglobes this week and then next week it's a Christmas party and 6 girls' last week at Brownies!

12. Nano

Nano (Newbie)

We had a District Brownie Christmas party this week. Wreath and biscuit decorating, paper chains, chocolate dice game, Christmas themed drawings and a "Rudolph's Tail" game. Then musical statues and party food. All had a blast... I think I enjoyed it more than the girls! :)

13. Nano

Nano (Newbie)

I did snow globes recently and found that a lot of the glitter stuck to the plasticine models. There was enough of it still floating for it to look good but did you have a similar problem?

14. ker-stee

Not really, but we used plastic cake decoration type things rather than Plasticine. We had a LOT of glitter though, girls went a bit ott!

Nano likes this.
  15. Nano

Nano (Newbie)

Ah, it was probably the surface of the plasticine that did it then. Thanks! We tried different sizes of glitter (tiny stuff and bigger stars and flakes). The larger sizes were fine but the small glitter coated the models... it looked very Christmasy but not what we had expected!

ker-stee likes this.
  16. sandra 100

sandra 100 Veteran (100+ posts)

Christmas party this week then off till 10th January

17. mhairilowl

mhairilowl Beginner (10+ posts)

2 weeks ago, christmas cake make
    last week christmas cake decorating and sweet making
    this week christmas party last night

18. MummySquirrel

Parties at all 3 units then off until 8th, 9th and 10th Jan.