1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Wellies and Wristbands - Foxlease

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SquirrelEm, Jan 8, 2016.

1. SquirrelEm

SquirrelEm (Newbie)

Hi,

We're thinking of taking our Guides to Wellies and Wristbands this year at Foxlease and (as none of us have been before) we were just wondering what the toilet facilities were like. Are they in easy reach of most fields/camping areas, or are they a bit of a trek? As it's sleeping tents only, I'm presuming we are not able to take a toilet tent.

And presumably there are showers etc too?

2. Zoe-eleanor

Zoe-eleanor Beginner (10+ posts)

I have been in 2014 as a volunteer and in 2015 with our Guides. There are toilet 'huts' in each camping field, so not hugely far away, although they are fairly basic facilities. Again there were showers, but due to the sheer numbers, when I used one it wasn't warm (at all!)!

That said that was the only thing not so brilliant about Foxlease Wellies and Wristbands, it was fantastic and the girls loved it, and we are going back again this year!

3. snowy91

snowy91 Fully warranted Brownie Guider

Each of the campsites has a toilet block so they're not very far away. Everything is communal so you can use any toilet block. The main field also has loads of portaloos and there are a few dotted around in other areas too.
    Showers aren't great but then it is a campsite and it is only 3 nights. (If you think the shower facilities are bad, I was camping in 2014 as a volunteer up the top on catherine wilson, our boiler didn't work so we had to walk miles to the next shower and we were there for potentially 5 nights, although due to the weather we all left early!)

4. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

There are hot tubs so girls probably forget that haven't had a shower all weekend

5. Loopy

Loopy Veteran (100+ posts)

There's definitely no room for units to take their own toilet tents - it's "festival style" camping and the tents have to be pretty close together to fit everyone in. However, every site has a toilet block so you won't have to walk far to the loo anyway. If anyone has any particular need to be near the toilets, you can request this when you apply :)

6. SquirrelEm

SquirrelEm (Newbie)

Thank you all :)

7. HMSisME

HMSisME Guide Leder to only disabled unit!

OK roll call for this year, Myself and Smiley are going this year with our own small group again

8. HMSisME

BUMPING THIS. So who is going to Wellies and Wristbands Foxlease this year??

9. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

We are going again this year, 3rd year for us, and have some girls who are coming for the 3rd time

10. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Sadly, once again we can't. It's not a holiday weekend for us, it's during termtime.

11. HMSisME

I am going for the 3rd time, but not in a row. last one was 2014 and went to the first one in 2013. I'm looking forward to it, 8 girls and bringing one of the Brownie leaders who is doing her Queens Guide.

12. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

I was at GinthePark, the Scottish equivalent - there weren't any showers for participants at all, just sinks in a tent which was open at both ends - and it was 4 nights/5 days!

13. Mother_Hen

Mother_Hen Veteran (100+ posts)

I'm bringing both units from our district. 3rd time (2013, 2015 and 2017 can you see a pattern?)

14. HMSisME

the count down starts!!