1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Discussions: Curious

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by badgemad4, Nov 13, 2017.

?

I read the WD threads

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

So for a few months now I've been putting out some threads once or more a week to try and generate discussion on current/interesting Guiding topics.

I'm interested to know if they are actually being enjoyed (for want of a better phrase), and for genuine honest feedback on them, including the newer format of putting a survey in if its a Y/N type question . The survey style bit isn't perfect (I know a few times it may have not covered all possible options) but I wanted to make them a bit more interactive, especially as often main points are covered in the first few posts and not everyone is a poster.

I also wondered how many people are reading these threads, as I know not everyone is a poster. Please answer the survey if you would like to give me an idea of how read they are :)

2. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I guess the argument is that the people who don't read the threads won't know to vote as they haven't read the threads !

For my money though, I've notice much greater traffic on the site, with a variety of new threads and new members so thanks Badgemad for initiating and running this idea..

Epona, partygirl, Tez10 and 3 others like this.
  3. dragnilk

dragnilk Beginner (10+ posts)

I read and enjoy the discussions even if I don’t always comment

4. Foxi

Foxi Guide Guider

I agree with this wholeheartedly

5. pipperpa

pipperpa Beginner (10+ posts) GuiderPlus

I have enjoyed the discussion so far even if I haven't 'chipped' in. I usually read them in my lunch hour and then forget to log on later to input. I've found this a very useful forum for years and it is nice to see it more activity in the last few months.

6. badgemad4

7. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

I enjoy most of the weekly discussions, and sometimes contribute. When I don't, it's either because it's a topic that I'm not as interested in, or have nothing more to add after other posters have contributed.

In recent weeks, life has been far to hectic. My son is disabled and his transfer to college from a special school hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped. He has had a large amount of appointments and at the same time has been transferred to adult services - so my time is more limited than usual. He is now in college for three days a week, whereas he was in school for five days. Combine that with my mum needing extra help, plus running three units (thank goodness for a great team!), and some days I just don't have the time or energy to comment. I do make time to read though.

As I'm typing this, it's 9.40pm and I've just finished my tea, which is fairly typical in the earlier part of the week.

So please do carry on with the discussions. I enjoy reading them, and hopefully life is settling down a bit more (well, after this week anyway!), so I should have a bit more time to contribute. There will still be times when I feel that I have nothing to add, or when the topic isn't as interesting to me, but generally speaking I like botyh the discussions and the fact that we are seeing more people posting.

I must add that I'm glad that Badgemad is running the discussions, as it keeps continuity. At the same time, Badgemad has chosen a wide range of topics from those suggested, as well as some of her own. There has to be something to interest everyone over time.

So, honest opinion - you're doing a fantastic job Badgemad! Thank you for taking on the responsibility for it.

8. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Quack and I will combat the spammers with our banhammers.....you keep on with the discussions, BadgeMad4!!

The forum is here to be used, and often we get a better thought out set of responses compared to groups on Facebook...but the threads are sparse, unlike in the old days...

I've just realised I've been a member of this site for nearly a decade!! I was doing my GCSEs....

9. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

I really like these, as it has developed some thinking points for me as a leader, and has also been a nice environment to put a view across, no one flaming or being rude.
    Please keep doing them!!!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

10. AngliaGuider

AngliaGuider Regular (50+ posts)

I look out for these posts every week and have definitely found them thought-provoking. Sometimes I feel I have something helpful to add, sometimes I don't, but it is always good to see the different opinions going round, to see things from other points of view or think about something that might not have occurred to me. I am also a member of the Guide and DC Facebook groups, and I value them also, but posts here seem often to be more balanced - less 'instant reaction', if you will.

partygirl likes this.
  11. morris minor

morris minor Veteran (100+ posts)

Like others have mentioned, I read but don't always contribute depending whether I have something additional to points already raised.
    Sometimes it is good to have something that makes you stop and think about what you do or why you do it that way.
    Thank you for initiating and managing these threads.

12. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

Yes I read them nd sometimes comment, they are interesting

13. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

Are you still ok starting a new conversation every week? Are you running out of topics? Would you like suggestions from others? Or do you still have loads of ideas? Lots of us appreciate your doing this and it seems to be making a difference. We wouldn't want to leave you struggling alone so let us know how you are for going forwards.

Trinny likes this.
  14. badgemad4

Thank you for asking :)
    At the moment I am happy to keep going, and I’ll let everyone know if this changes.

I would appreciate ideas for new threads though- although I haven’t ran out of ideas quite yet when I’m coming up with new ones I have to make sure that I’m not just rephrasing old ones! A few times there has also coincidentally been articles published in the Guiding magazine which have covered the same subject.