1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

TSS revamp

Discussion in 'Senior Section' started by littlerainbow, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

I am incredibly disappointed though, that despite the disgracefully secretive way GGUK introduced the guide uniform and the ensuing chaos, that we are being kept in the dark about this as well :( does anyone know when GGUK will be saying anything about this openly?

2. RMT

RMT Guide Leader GuiderPlus

I do think especially with this age group they need to kepp all leaders and members involved.

3. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

I emailed CHQ about TSS and the centenary the other week, and nothing was said. Maybe its worth emailing CHQ with a 'I've heard a rumour'

4. growlywench

growlywench Veteran (100+ posts)

Doubt they'll reply, they're a mite slack on that front.

5. GirlFromMars

GirlFromMars Veteran (100+ posts)

Seems strange making such dramatic changes, when to me it looks like they are starting to pick up with SS. I think GG is a bit more fashionable just now or at least it looks that way from an outside perspective and with all their campaigning they are doing on social media. Will be interesting to hear about and I hope they do a wider consultation than they did with the Guide uniform fiasco lol.

6. rugbynutter

rugbynutter Rainbow Guider & Ranger GuiderPlus

There was a consultation a few months back.
    It was 'advertised' (poorly) on the GG website. It asked for people to run sessions with the 14-26 age group. I managed to register & run one, but it started over the summer, so was very short notice to organise an event before the Sept/Oct deadline for replies.
    I organised one for my division & tried to invite county too, but by the time the message got passed up & down the usual channels, the only people who turned up were from my own unit, plus one Guider friend.
    The questions, from memory, were similar to:
    What do you think of DofE / QG / LW / CGC etc?
    What do you think of the 14-26 age range? Postive & negatives?
    What could make SenSec better?
    What do you want to do in SS? Who / what do you need to help you achieve this?

I'm not sure how many sessions were held, or how many people were consulted in total - I am still getting copied into emails asking for the reply data to be returned from all sessions, so maybe GG don't have all the responses yet!!

It was very much aimed at having group discussion around each question, which is great. But I do think the same questions could have been asked & advertised via social media too - maybe that will come later.

7. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

There was an online survey too. I remember filling it in. My main comment at the time was that they really need to get something in the programme that can be completed over a shorter time frame. All of the awards available take quite a while to earn, which puts off quite a few youngsters, especially when they are so busy with GCSEs and A Levels. I know my Rangers would love just having some badges to work towards that can be done in a meeting or two.

8. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

Yeah, I do think that is something that is missing since staged badges were stopped, because when they were still around senior section could work on them. It would be nice if they took that on board, but... I sort of suspect they may say it would be too much work for too little return to come up with syllabuses for so few people to then do the badges (given the how many decades long argument about badges for Look Wider).

9. senry

senry Veteran (100+ posts)

This is what we discussed last night after guides; rangers need interest badges that can be worked on in addition to look wider, as part of a more structured programme maybe, even if they have them all linked to look wider octants.

aka

Creativity
    Artist
    Musician
    Sewing

Independent Living
    Handy Woman
    Life skills

Fit for Life
    Sport
    Healthy Eating

Outdoor
    Camper
    Out Cook.

I think it would help with there planning sessions as well as they would have something they can refer to rather than pulling ideas out of thin air!

I know I’m just starting to work with TSS and I will be working with members who are not in ranger units mostly so I am looking at this with interest to see how to we can make the whole age range more cohesive.

10. shackademus

shackademus Veteran (100+ posts)

but arent the phase 1's, possibly phase 2's of the octants the things they plan their programme around like the rainbow roundabouts, brownie adventure?

11. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

They are, but they don't actually achieve an award until they have either done phase 1 and 2 of ALL the octants, or if they complete a whole octant. That requires a LOT of work for girls who are already really busy people. Our girls really struggle to think of activities, so we often refer to the unofficial challenge badges, most of which aren't a challenge to SS.

12. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

It seems that almost any Tom, Richard or Harry can make a challenge badge and make a profit (no offence meant at all, they are often really good and I have done loads)! So I don't understand how GGUK can say it is not cost effective to produce interest badges for SS. Make a selection of say 15, buy 100 of each and see how it goes! It would not be a huge investment and quite frankly even if it were, Gg need to decide if SS is worth doing or not - so often it feels like the forgotten section, with no investment, no fanfare, no decent resources...

In addition to the ones suggested above, I would suggest
    Independent living - cooking/cooks badge; childcare
    Out of doors - naturalist/conservationist (flowers, trees, animals etc)
    Creativity - writer
    Personal values - faith awareness, politician
    International - interpreter

I'm taking inspiration from the old guide badges, and I think the badges should build on the guide badges as well. More structure and more inspiration, because SS is unfortunately lacking in both at the moment.

13. purpleturtle

purpleturtle Veteran (100+ posts)

Good to hear they're making changes - I hope they're the right changes (and they listen to girls/leaders).

Currently our county works as separate TSS for 14 - 18 and 18 - 26 but that is mostly because retention of 16+ girls is really bad. Programme-wise it works well as the older group do more political/charitable/"thinking" activities. The only problem with this is that the girls don't have any over 18s to look up to (otherwise they may consider staying on longer). I think one thing that also needs to be addressed is getting TSS-aged leaders involved in TSS activities (it would boost TSS numbers significantly).

I like the idea of bringing out badges for completing phase 1 of each octant (I know many units give out beads as it is). The only issue with that is that it would de-value the need to do phase 2 and 3. I do like the octants and I hope they stay. I would like to see something to help girls think of activities and plan for themselves - the octant examples and the 'beginning to lead' e-learning go someway to solving this.

14. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

I guess nothing became of this?

Dionysia likes this.
  15. RMT

RMT Guide Leader GuiderPlus

I think it could be like everything else and take years actually to be done.
    I have heard somewhere that they are looking at all section programmers.
    Seems like GG can;t concentrate on 1 aspect and get that completed instead of hundreds of projects uncompleted.

16. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

17. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

A great opportunity for someone to ensure that all views are heard and to make a real difference to the future of Girlguiding.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk