1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

TOPAZ Russia 2017

Discussion in 'Trefoil Guild' started by floss, Jan 18, 2017.

1. floss

floss Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I have been selected for TOPAZ adventure to Russia in October 2017. Not sure where we're going, or exactly when we're going, but 8 of us will be going! So now I have to learn some Russian.
    PS there are 2 different badges - a general TOPAZ badge and a specific Russian doll badge which the 2016 team came up with (and the challenge, so you can join in) but is running until 2018 (with the correct year on the badges). Both cost £1 and can be bought from TG website :)

2. Foxi

Foxi Guide Guider

Congratulations Floss & good luck with learning the Russian! I am having trouble with Spanish but that is simple in comparison.

3. floss

floss Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I had to learn some Spanish when I went to Guatemala for 3 weeks - I picked that up fairly quickly, so thought I was good at learning languages, but ussian is a whole different ballgame!

4. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

I went to Russia with guiding in 2007. I knew no Russian at all. One girl in our group had some (slightly ropey) Russian, but there were a couple of translators who were really good, and most of the teenagers spoke enough English to get by.
    But if you insist, try duolingo - it's an app that helps you learn languages in an easy bite size way.