1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Titanic themed camp at Lorne - Summer 2015

Discussion in 'Girlguiding Ulster' started by captainkiwi, Feb 16, 2015.

1. captainkiwi

captainkiwi Veteran (100+ posts)

Hi

I am taking my guides to Lorne this summer. Our theme is Titanic. We will be going to the Transport Museum and Titanic Belfast.

I was thinking of also taking them to the Icedome. But how easy is it to get there on public transport.

We are doing the hop on/off bus and if the bus stopped anywhere near the icedome then we would probably just use it.

Any tips from locals would be welcome. There will be 24 guides and 4 adults.

Thanks

2. neonlightning

neonlightning Beginner (10+ posts)

Hi, Transport museum is literally down the road, not a problem at all! Titanic Belfast is also not far away from the city centre, so can easily get the bus and the sightseeing buses also go past it so could use those to get there too.

I had never heard of the "icedome" and now that I've looked it up their facebook page says they've been closed for two years? Not sure if its the same place you're thinking of.

Lorne also have their own activities and I'm sure you could go to other places the bus stops at including the Ulster Museum (sorry, I'm not entirely sure where else it goes!), or spend time shopping in Victoria Square.

3. captainkiwi

thanks! We have got most sorted now. Lorne doing activities for us. Titanic experience and Transport museum. Our newest issue is our food shop! I was hoping to have my former guider come with us and she would have brought car on the ferry. But she is now unable to come :( that being the case - I'm aware that there is a Tesco Extra at Knocknagoney which isn't far away at all even on the bus but for the first shop which will be big - I'm looking into getting Tesco to deliver but I can't seem to get the site to recognise the postcode and I don't know if that's because i'm in Scotland and I need to be a NI based Tesco customer!

4. neonlightning

Have heard of getting food delivered to Lorne but haven't done it myself so not exactly sure how. Can you order by phone? Might be able to do it that way.

Glad you've got it all sorted though! Let me know if you need to know anything else, I'll help as best I can!

5. captainkiwi

I've worked out the tesco issue so we are getting there. At the moment our big drama is organising a camp hoodie!! So much stress to agree colour and logo! Wish I had just said to them this is the colour and this is the logo - but girl led guiding and all that!!

Anyway we will be in Belfast City Centre one full day and I'm trying to organise an explore the city activity/monopoly type game. Have set aside 3 - 4 hours to do it but really not got a clue how long it will take them!!

6. purplecat

purplecat Veteran (100+ posts)

Keep going! This camp sounds incredible! Your girls are really lucky :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

8. neonlightning

Captainkiwi - If you need an extra volunteer to stand at one of the places for monopoly run and I'm not away at the jamboree I'd be happy to help! It sounds interesting :)

9. captainkiwi

We had a fantastic time at Lorne and in Belfast. Lots of happy guides

10. purplecat

Glad to hear it went well :)

11. pipperpa

pipperpa Beginner (10+ posts) GuiderPlus

Sounds like all had a great time. Just out of interest did you go down the monopoly route? We are hoping to do that type of thing with our guides during our weekend in Inverness - we just don't know were to start...any tips?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  12. captainkiwi

i'm trying to figure out how to attach our monopoly booklet. it went really well.

13. captainkiwi

if you know anyone from your county who was at weegopoly for the scottish annual event get them to pass you a copy of that booklet ... we adapted rules from there but added our own, changed the challenges to suit where we were ...then it was a case of me googling sights and finding out questions etc.

14. purplecat

If you can't upload the booklet would it be possible to get a copy by email? (I can PM you my email address) My Rangers are off to Belfast (we're doing all the capitals of the British Isles for TSS spectacular)