1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Taking Guides on Pack Holiday

Discussion in 'Question & Answers' started by Abby97, May 18, 2017.

1. Abby97

Abby97 (Newbie)

Hi,
    In October I (hopefully) will be running my first Brownie Pack holiday. However, we currently have 24 girls with about 11 leaving in Summer to become Guides. Should I give them the opportunity to come on Pack Holiday even though they will have spent a half term in Guides?
    I'm a bit worried that without them we won't have enough girls but that they may suddenly grow up at Guides and the younger ones will feel a bit left out!

As this is my License holiday i would appreciate any advice! :)

2. Batty Owl

Batty Owl Veteran (100+ posts)

Actually 12 is a nice number for a Pack Holiday as you get to know the girls better. I suspect that your ex-Brownies would not want to come anyway. If the venue is not too expensive for the smaller number I would go with that

3. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

I'd leave the Guides to Guides. They will have started to settle in with their new unit, and with the new ethos at Guide level (being able to take more responsibility for themselves). You'd have to consider things like what would be appropriate to the Guide programme as well as the Brownie one activitywise, and if they would need recognition of being Guides for example would they expect a later bedtime? Are the rules different at Guides as to what they are allowed to do with things like mobiles? And how would this go down with the oldest of the Brownies, who could be not that far away from Guides themselves and could be in the same class at school (depending on when girls move up)?

A smaller number means (like Batty Owl has already said) you can get to know the girls better, and so could help with the new dynamic with all of the "oldies" gone. New sixers and seconds might fall back into letting older girls lead rather than flourishing.

You might be able to run some activities that require more supervison or help like fiddly crafts or skills, or cook some more adventurous food.

4. Abby97

Abby97 (Newbie)

We have quite a lot of young 7yr olds who I'm not sure would want to come. Is there a minimum amount of girls I need to take with me? (The books are in the post!)
    That's a good point about differences in rules as well, thank you!