1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Idea! Staying Fresh: Index of Discussion Topics

Discussion in 'Website Related' started by badgemad4, Jun 27, 2017.

1. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

As has been commented elsewhere on the site a few times, the forum isn't as busy as it once was, and some have explanations why. It's not always heartening to log on and simply see a list of new challenge packs and one or two spam threads.

One reason why I have always valued here in particular is that there is a variety of view points on current Guiding issues, often presented in a thoughtful format. And unlike on social media there is a layer of anonymity, meaning examples can be cited and questions asked without embarrassment or fear of causing local tension.

I have enjoyed reading the thread about one change to Guiding. To keep the site active with "real threads" could we have a similar new question or topic posed each week or fortnight as a regular arrangement?

Willow and kingfisherblue like this.
  2. badgemad4

Here is a list of subjects that I have thought may be suitable for future discussion, I'm happy to put out the initial thread each week:
    *Leader v Guider (First discussion: Leader v Guider)
    *Do you think that any Guiding traditions are at risk of being lost, how do you think we can save them or is it a good thing (Second Discussion: Are any Guiding traditions at risk of being lost?)
    *How could the experience of volunteering with Girlguiding be improved by us as fellow volunteers at unit level (Third Discussion: How can we improve for each other?)
    *What is the best camp/residential recipe you know (Third discussion .2 Best residential recipe)
    *How much say should parents have in how a unit runs (Discussion IV: Parents and Unit Functioning)
    *Has the "new" branding been a success (Discussion V: Branding, has it worked?)
    *Do we allow TSS units to fail? (Discussion VI: Do we allow TSS units to fail?)
    *Badge tabs (Discussion VII: Badge Tabs)
    *Should Guiding consider paid figures at local level? (Weekly Discussion VIII: Should we have paid figures at local level?)
    *Who is your Guiding heroine? (Discussion VIII.2 Who is your unsung Guiding Heroine?)
    *What one thing about Guiding do you wish the general public knew/understood https://www.guiders.co.uk/threads/d...ng-would-you-like-the-public-to-know.58142/()
    *What is the best way to introduce a "different" activity to a unit (for example singing to a unit that doesn't sing, a walk for a mainly indoor unit) (Discussion X: Something new)
    *How to Guide alongside family members or close friends (Discussion XI: How to Guide (and Scout) alomgside family members)
    *What badge/s do you miss or hope for in the future (Discussion XII: Interest Badges)
    *What was the most successful residential you have been a part of (and what do you think made it so) (Discussion XIII:What makes a successful residential?)
    * The best way to start a new Guiding year (Discussion XIV: The Right Start)
    *Is the term "flexible Guiding" abused? (Discussion XV: Is the term "flexible Guiding abused?")
    *Have the Guide Laws become pushed to the side? (Discussion XVI: Have the Laws Been Pushed Aside?)
    *What do we think of the new online system (this would be when it's launched) ~Thread Exists~
    *How to deal with backseat volunteers? (Discussion XVII: How to deal with backseat volunteers)
    *Is there such a thing as not room for "just one more?" (Weekly Discussion XVIII: Is there such a thing as not room for "just one more?")
    *Is it time to "professionalise" our recruitment and training? (Weekly discussion- Professionalising Guiding)
    *Handbooks, useful point of reference and record keeper-or an obsolete expense?Weekly Discussion XXI: Handbooks
    *Should we have a single uniform? (Weekly Discussion XIX: Single uniform)
    *Guiding "essentials" and merchandise (Weekly Discussion: Guiding "essentials" and other merchandise)
    *An Easy Life vs "The Principal" (Weekly Discussion: An easy life v the principal)
    *Challenge badges: fundraiser and awareness raiser, or taking us away from Guiding principals? (Weekly Discussion: “Challenge” Badges)
    *Fun or solem, what should promise ceremonies look like? (Weekly Discussion: Promise ceremonies)
    *Male members and the Promise (Weekly Discussion: Male volunteers and the Promise)
    *A celebrity CG (Weekly Discussion: A Celebrity Chief?)
    *Craft and the environment (Weekly Discussion: Craft, Materials, and the Environment (oh my!))
    *How to deal with "that Guider" (Weekly Discussion: “That” volunteer)
    *How can we help TSS leaders with the coming changes? (Weekly Discussion: Supporting TSS/Ranger leaders)
    *Food glorious food, snacks during meetings.(Weekly Discussion: Food Glorious Food. Snacks at meetings.)
    *Tips for running a cultural based night (Weekly Discussion: Cultural Night)
    *Heritage for sale? When should archive material be sold and what’s worth keeping? Weekly Discussion: Heritage for Sale (or the bin)?
    *Should we make more effort to recruit 14-25 as volunteers ?
    *Mobile phones at meetings (Weekly Discussion: Mobile phones at residentials)
    *Mobile phones at residentials (Weekly Discussion: Mobile phones at residentials)
    *How to help shy girls
    *Push and pull, How should we get our information?
    *Big(ish) fish, small pond
    *It's just not "Guiding"
    *Keeping up with the Flossies
    *Life after death, is the term “Guiding death” still relevant?
    *How to retain girls all the way from Rainbows to TSS (Weekly Discussion: Retention from Rainbows to TSS)
    *Volunteers who've been involved for more than ten years, what are some of the biggest changes/cultural shifts you've seen in Guiding? (Cultural changes )
    *How has the removal of the retirement age affected your area? (Has the removal of retirement changed your area?)
    *Whats something you'd like other members to be more aware of?
    Bonus: Useful workplace tips What workplace tips do you have for fundraising?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    kingfisherblue likes this.
  3. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

Some great ideas there badgemad. Another for discussion - American units sell cookies in Spring. Parents register their daughters for a full year (so they cannot remove non- attenders from the register, as I understand it). The cookie sales, plus 'fall sales' (mainly nuts and magazines) finance most or all of the unit activities, and although some units request subs, they cannot insist on payment. Should we in the UK have a similar system or should we stay the way we are, with subs? I know what I think!

Maybe a question about interest badges too - should we expect the girls to do them outside of meetings, or include them in meetings? What badges do people find work best in meetings?

Challenge badges - on other sites I have seen some units use these almost exclusively. Some Rainbow units never seem to do Roundabouts, despite them being the official programme. They're a great fundraiser for the creators, although some haven't acknowledged copyright held by other websites. So, what are people's opinions of them? Necessary or an extra? How often should a unit do an unofficial challenge badge? Will the badges surviive the new programme?

The new programme - should the badges be bright and colourful, or should they return to a more uniform look of yesteryear? (I'm thinking particularly of Guide interest badges, which don't seem to have any uniformity).

Should we have a handbook for the girls to be used most weeks?

What websites are the best for free activities/ low or no preparation/ starters/ etc?

Sunny2nd, Trinny and badgemad4 like this.
  4. Tez10

Tez10 Ninja

On a lighter hearted point, a martial arts site I'm on has a 'sticky' titled 'you know you are a martial artist when...' loads of funny and interesting things people do or think which you end up nodding at when reading. So 'you know you are a leader when.....'

5. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

You've given us lots of ideas here and I hope we can come back to them one by one over time.

Just a comment on challenge badges - we do them, mixed in with other things, but at Magic and Mayhem recently my Brownies were admiring the large collection of challenge badges on uniforms of girls from other packs. Since some of the Brownies had the entire back of their hoody covered in challenge badges, one wonders what else they ever had time for and whether the Adventures got covered at all in their pack.

fenris likes this.
  6. Willow

Willow Veteran (100+ posts)

Great idea!

Kingfisherblue - totally agree re challenge badges, and the points you raise about these. Have you seen the latest Guide interest badges? CHQ have clearly responded to feedback on the mismatching issue :)
    Guide interest badges

kingfisherblue likes this.
  7. kingfisherblue

Willow, yes, I've seen that the Guide interest badges are now much better than they were, but I've only seen them recently. I think that they are much better than they were.

On a FB group, someone had designed fairly simple, but effective badges for all sections, with a base colour for each section. I'm not certain, but I think it might have been Lisa, one of the owners of this site. They looked great, uniformity through the sections as well as within the section.

8. NosilaC

NosilaC Regular (50+ posts)

I've a sneaking suspicion you're thinking of some of 'my' Brownies - a few of our older girls are totally 'badge mad' and their hoodies certainly fit your description! Whilst we do some 'unofficial' challenges during the weekly meetings (or 'semi official ones' like LASERs Growing Up Wild pawprints - which are VERY popular, and often come up when we're discussing what to do next) we normally use these for special events, fun days, residentials, etc - so how many a girl puts on her uniform will depend largely on how many events she chooses to come on - and how long she's been in Brownies. Also, we give 'place' badges for when we do a residential event at a particular site (eg some of them are avidly collecting all 4 of the Cudhams Four Seasons badges).

BUT we do also cover the Brownie Adventure badges - though not necessarily always as specific activities from the book. Each term we use one of the meetings so that they can all do activities that they choose from the different sections of the Brownie Adventures book, which gives the leaders take time to discuss with small groups of girls what they've done to earn her 'next' Brownie Adventure/More Adventures, etc badge (they're not very good at recording these themselves, so often its a 'ohh do you remember when we ...' discussion). Normally at the of each such evening I have the pleasure of handing out several 'Adventure' badges - and encouraging others to do the few remaining clauses that they need to complete. This seems to work much better for us than different approaches we've tried in the past. Occasionally we do an official interest badge in the Pack meetings - but more often some of the Brownies choose to do these at home (and others don't).

I must admit that I like the fact that the Brownies need to earn their Adventure badges, and really hope that this continues with the Anniversary badges in the new programme (ie that they know what they've done to earn the badge, rather than then being awarded this simply because they've come to the unit for another year).

9. badgemad4

Also as a side note:
    I have given some discussion threads deliberately dramatic titles, or put forward points I might not personally believe. This is to try and generate discussion rather than being deliberately disagreeable!

MsLaurie likes this.
  10. badgemad4

Anyone have any ideas for future discussions please?

11. kingfisherblue

There are still a few of the above ideas not used yet, but it's surprising how many we have covered. It's also been interesting to see which ones have been more popular than others. As more topics will be needed over time, and this has been such an interesting thread regarding them, is it worth asking for it to become a 'sticky'?

As for new topics, you've got me thinking! I shouldn't even be on here, as I still have stuff to do for my GAW. I'll post back when I've had a think...

12. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

If you'd like a sticky post....it can be arranged...

I wondered whether it was worth looking more section-specific...as a Brownie leader I'd be interested in how people use the Adventure book, best activities for each section.

I'd also be interested in transitions, and managing waiting lists.

badgemad4 and kingfisherblue like this.
  13. badgemad4

A sticky would be useful please- mainly as it's useful to have the threads all in one plan. Also to partly explain to people who haven't seen this thread that I am not the most clueless person looking for constant advice! (And as previously posted that some don't reflect my personal ideas!)

14. badgemad4

Thank you @browniebeth for making it a sticky :D

I am surprised to see that some of the weekly discussions have had over one thousand unique views! (for those who might be wondering, this means it doesn't count those refreshing or revisiting the discussion)

15. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

Thakn you for all the effort you've put in Badgemad to revive the site! Hopefully some new guiders will start looking at this site and take some of the heat out of the FB groups, as they seem quite volatile sometimes!

What about a thread/discussion about fundraising ideas? I bet someone will just comment "parents might just want to raise subs", but a lot of us may also want ideas for fete activities, ways to cover a one-off cost, hall renovations etc. It would be nice to have all the ideas together, and people could come back and add to it if they think of a new idea in 6months time! Apologies if it's already been covered though.

badgemad4 likes this.
  16. badgemad4

I don’t think it’s been covered, so I’ll make it Mondays post. I agree it’s nice to have ideas all tougether, and for many units raising subs just isn’t an option.