1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Secular Brownie Song and Taps?

Discussion in 'Traditions' started by yakuzakittty, Mar 8, 2016.

1. yakuzakittty

yakuzakittty Georgie

I'm about to take over from some older Leaders at a Brownie unit, and as a firm atheist I feel it's time to properly secularise the unit - I have nothing against these old traditions, but as I nor many of the girls follow the Christian faith, I feel it is no longer appropriate to sing the traditional Brownie Song and Taps. We changed the promise, yet haven't been given an alternative to these songs that clearly reference the Christian faith.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know if there is some official guidance about this?

2. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

There are quite few versions of Brownie Bells around. I'm sure you will get some alternatives mentioned.

For the Brownie song, one of my packs just changed the line "to love my God" to "to be ourselves". It fits quite nicely.

3. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

Could the girls write a new version of brownie bells? There are quite a few already but it might be something they enjoy doing and will start a new tradition. I have also heard slightly altered version of the brownie song too that fit with the new promise.

4. Ezrekia

Ezrekia Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

I've heard "God" in Taps changed to "peace" or "love". Does the job, but is a little bit hippy for my taste. I'd love to hear a better alternative.

5. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

There are alternative wordings for the Brownie songs in the Adventure files. Some people choose to change the last line of Taps to 'Guides goodnight', which seems logical to the meaning of the rest of the song.

6. magpie_owl

magpie_owl Veteran (100+ posts)

We sing 'Good - night' in place of 'God is nigh', we started after a few requests from girls to not sing a song with God in. It doesn't lose the sense or tune of the song, and the newer girls have just learned it as this so it's become the norm pretty fast.

7. MsLaurie

MsLaurie Veteran (100+ posts)

We say "say goodnight" in place of "God is nigh". Same syllables and rhythm, so it was an easy switch.

8. catdrew

catdrew Brownie Guider GuiderPlus

I think you need to consider what the girls want as well. They may like the old songs and want to keep them, just because you don't feel you can sing them and your girls aren't of any particular faith doesn't mean you can overrule the girls given we are a 'girl led' organisation. They need to be involved with any changes.

you may have already done this but just something to take on board as you take over from their old leaders don't try to change too much too quickly.

Trinny, ker-stee and Lilybex like this.
  9. littleowllou

littleowllou Veteran (100+ posts)

At the end we now sing the brownie smile song instead of brownie bells. We sang it a few times and then asked the girls to vote for which song they wanted.

10. victoriasponge

victoriasponge (Newbie)

Here's my alternative to the words of Brownie Bells -

Evening has come,
    Our meeting's done.
    To everyone,
    Thanks for the fun.
    Goodnight.

I like the suggestion above of "to be ourselves" instead of "to love our God" for the Brownie song.

SnowyButtercup likes this.
  11. pipperpa

pipperpa Beginner (10+ posts) GuiderPlus

We sing:

Time for the end,
    Our meeting's past,
    Brownies is great,
    Time flies so fast,
    Goodnight (Goodnight, Goodnight)

12. SH79

SH79 Beginner (10+ posts)

We changed "love our God" to "love our world".

Dionysia likes this.
  13. AyeBee

AyeBee Beginner (10+ posts)

The girls wrote a whole new version for the Brownie Bells tune, and we sing it when we leave.
    All round the world, the brownies say, we do good deeds, throughout the day. Good night

14. eaglebrownowl

eaglebrownowl (Newbie)

We still sing the traditional version of brownie bells in the unit. While not of the Christian faith. I like the sentiment in the song about "give us thy peace and bless us all" is about the girls wishing the rest of the unit a good week/holiday and often explain this to the girls to get them to charm down at the end of a meeting and reflect on this.

If anyone has alternative words which have a similar meaning I would be very interested to know.

15. Kochanski

Kochanski Regular (50+ posts)

I've just started up a new Rainbow unit and when I printed out the verses of the look, learn, laugh, love song I changed the promise verse slightly. I replaced I will love my God with I will do my best.

My Brownie Adventure file is round in the hall - could someone who has theirs handy tell me what the suggested alternatives are for Brownies, please?

16. Tez10

Tez10 Ninja

I'm a bit confused because I've never seen the words about loving God in the Rainbows song? This is the one we've always used and the one that's always in the books etc.

Look, Learn, Laugh, Love

Look at the world around (point to eyes)

Learn everything you can (point to head)

Laugh as you go along (make the shape of a smile in front of mouth)

Love this world of ours (put hands on heart)

Look, learn, laugh, love (repeat actions)

Rainbows has begun

We're all here now (put hands out, palms up)

Come and join the fun (beckon with hands)

17. caroline68

caroline68 Beginner (10+ posts)

Hi Tez 10
    This is the version we use at a promise ceremony:
    Look at the world around.
    Learn everything you can.
    Laugh as you go along.
    Love this world of ours.

Look, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Promise time has come,
    I will do my best
    and help everyone.

We are a new unit, so only know the 'new' promise, we use a 'goodnight' version for the end of the session and there is one for a POG party about going to Brownies, I found them online somewhere!