1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Scavenger hunt with a difference for Guides

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Foxi, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Foxi

Foxi Guide Guider

I'm sure someone has done this many times before us but I put this together as a request by our Guides to do more Scavenger hunts and cooking. I have to say it was exceptionally well received by both the Guides and the community.
    Basically I dropped round ahead of time the already measured ingredients to various members of the community that we could trust: Brownie Leader, Church warden, unit helper & two members of the church congregation that the girls have seen before. I.e Brown Owl had the 6 eggs, church warden the 3 lots of butter etc
    We then gave a close up map of the area and their instructions (pm me your email address & I can email them to you - sorry did try uploading but it wouldn't!) The girls had to work out the route, map read and once all the items were safely collected up they returned to the hall to make their chocolate Brownies.
    It took a total of an hour & a half for three groups to collect ingredients and cook in one microwave - only 1 group was in the kitchen at any one time. Yum yum!:D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    nutty_angel and guiderlinda like this.
  2. MummySquirrel

MummySquirrel Veteran (100+ posts)

Fab idea, I'm sure our girls would love this.

3. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

All the lampposts in my area have a code number on them, on large white stickers - so in winter these are automatically floodlit. I worked out a route and wrote down all the code numbers on that route. I also prepared two copies of a recipe then cut it up into sections. These I blu-tacked on the back of certain lampposts - these ones were marked with an asterisk on the list.

I split the Guides into two groups and gave each Patrol a list of these numbers. (one list was in reverse order, so one group would be following the trail clockwise, and the other anticlockwise). They weren't given any clues as to what the numbers were, just taken outside the hall to where the first number happened to be in view, and warned that when they found the asterisked codes there would be a piece of card to collect, blue for one team and pink for the other.

Once they got back to the hall they constructed the recipe, then in pairs they made and ate the microwave mug cakes . . .

nutty_angel and guiderlinda like this.
  4. nutty_angel

nutty_angel Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

Thank you for posting these - I'm gonna steal them for my Guides - they've asked for more adventure and more cooking too!!

5. elixa

elixa Regular (50+ posts)

We did this one a few years ago but used telegraph poles as our lamps didn't have numbers. Worked well, but takes a bit of prep.

I did a photo scavenger hunt for a BP weekend, things like the whole team in front of a certain number, or in a telephone box, or reflected in something etc. Easier now they tend to have phones at Guides.

6. nutty_angel

nutty_angel Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

oo I like that one too - although I may use it at Rangers instead!

7. MummySquirrel

MummySquirrel Veteran (100+ posts)

We did a Patrol Selfie Trail in our local park before summer - girls were given a list of things they had to get on a photo with - a squirrel(1 Patrol actually managed it), railway junction, a bridge etc. It was great fun and we leaders were able to sit and soak up the sun