1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question? Returning to Girlguiding

Discussion in 'Leadership Qualification' started by Kirsty Hall, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kirsty Hall

Kirsty Hall (Newbie)

I am returning to Girlguiding at the age of 35 having left at the end of Brownies. have been helping with Rainbows and Brownies since Easter and have run a few weeks myself when leaders have been ill but the Commissioner only completed my registration at the end of July before Go went down. I have a few of silly questions?

1. How long does it take to get your membership number?
    2. Where and who do I get my red book from?
    3. Can leaders have a challenge badge too?
    4. Will I get emailed the dates of training?

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

1. This is usually when your enquiry moves from Join Us to Go, and DBS has come back. Obviously this may be considerably delayed while they sort it out.

2. Your Commissioner will know who is responsible for these in your area. Often it is the commissioner, but sometimes this is delegated to an Advisor.

3. If the unit has the funds to do this and you want one, then yes.

4. Depends how this is organised in your area - ask your commissioner :)

3. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

Welcome :)

Exactly how things happen may slightly vary from area to area. When I first started my ALQ the book was given to me by the DC who wanted to welcome myself and another starting out on a leadership path. You should be assigned a mentor, she might be the person to give you the book. Similarly she might be the person letting you know about trainings or it might be a person from county. In my experience this has been via email.

Challenge badges: many of them are not official Girlguiding resources and are predominantly fundraising endeavours. Many leaders will also end up taking part in clauses by proxy. Therefore in theory there is no harm if you wished to get an extra one for a blanket. They should not be worn on any uniform though. Some challenges may have specific clauses for leaders/TG though. Depending on your unit you may pay for it though.

4. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Welcome too..

The others are right, each area is different and we are all dependant on the particular circumstances of our volunteers and their abilities.

As to trainings etc you may have a county website or facebook page which gives details of what is coming up. Some counties produce a printed calendar which is provided to all. Your Commissioner is the best point of contact initially and in due course your mentor.

August is generally our downtime for Guiding so please do not expect too much at the moment, but come the new term please feel free to chase..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk