1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Brownies' started by Witchy, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Witchy

Witchy Beginner (10+ posts)

hey guys I have just taken over a group of lovely girls and the lady who is training cane to visit the other day and asked if we was happy how we started and ending the group we start with our sixes do arches and our song and at the end we stand in a circle do our prayer say goodnight
    I’m curious as to how you guys run yours so I can get some ideas to change things a little

Thanks in advance

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

To start: the sixes come in from their corners one at a time, through the arches made by leaders. They sing "We're Brownie Guides" etc with actions.

Ending in a circle we do Brownie Bells (with either little fingers or imitating handbells), segue into Brownie Smile song and close by spelling out Goodnight taking steps towards the middle "G-O-O-D-N-I-G-H-T Goodnight"

Witchy likes this.
  3. Witchy

Aw cheers x

4. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

I used to love the opening with the song and the arches. My new unit doesn't do it. It involved a bit I've never seen before or since - anyone else know it? Brown Owl would curl up on the floor in the middle of where the circle would go and pretend to wake up, look around at the lines in corners and ask, "Who are you?", to which the Brownies would answer by singing the song.
    (Think I'd struggle getting down onto the floor and back up again now though!)

Witchy likes this.
  5. Witchy

Thankyou x

6. beanie87

beanie87 Beginner (10+ posts)

I took over a Pack a couple of years ago (have been assistant before that at same pack) and they simply spell "Welcome": holding pinkies in a circle close knit, jumping out on each letter then run to middle shouting "Welcome". We do the same with "Goodnight" at the end. However, I like BrownieBeth's way of doing things so may try to incorporate some of that.

7. Witchy

Thankyou guys for your help

8. Tez10

Tez10 Ninja

I'm not sure how many units say prayers though these days as we've moved away from the religious aspect thankfully. We don't, I would feel uncomfortable if we did.

Witchy likes this.
  9. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

I would worry about how a muslim, hindu or buddhist family moving into the area would perceive the unit's inclusiveness. It would be very uncomfortable for any of their daughters coming along to try it out; maybe try something more generic at the end?

Your arches tradition sounds lovely though.

Tez10 and Witchy like this.
  10. Lemon13

Lemon13 Beginner (10+ posts)

We start with a slightly altered version of We're brownie guides (so that it fits the current promise) we skip round in a circle holding hands and change facings at the end of each line of the song with a woo (we were trying to get them a bit more enthusiastic and use up more of their energy when they came in). At the end we do an alternative version of brownie bells linking little fingers and swinging followed by spelling goodnight stepping backwards for each letter then they all run/walk into the middle shouting "goooooood" and then jump and clap shouting "night"

Tez10 likes this.
  11. Witchy

12. Witchy

That is what I thought by doing the prayers we are excluding people from other religions
    I think this needs to be re thought
    Thankyou

13. pipperpa

pipperpa Beginner (10+ posts) GuiderPlus

In my old rainbow unit we finished with a 'Prayer' but it wasn't really religious - more a reflection about being good and kind. It was something that was taught at one of the local private schools that had been adopted when the unit opened in the early 90s. We called it a 'Prayer' within the unit for want of a better word - or at least that was the case for me. Unfortunately it is 3 years since I left that unit and I am struggling to recall the words - despite saying it every week for 10 years!

At my current unit we meet alongside the Brownies - and share our openings and endings. We start with the Rainbow Look/Learn/Laugh/Learn song and then go on to sing "We're Brownie Guides". The words grate with me slightly now that the promise has changed but the girls enjoy it. @Lemon13 I would be interested to know how you have adapted it. We have discussed changing it but concluded we didn't know what to change it to so have remained with the status quo. We end with our adaptation of "Brownie Bells" - Time for the end, our meetings passed, Guiding is great, we had some fun, Goodnight, Goodnight, Goodnight.

14. pipperpa

pipperpa Beginner (10+ posts) GuiderPlus

^Sorry can't seem to edit my previous post - Just realised our adaptation of "Brownies Bells" is actually - Time for the end, our meetings passed, Guiding is great, time flies so fast, Goodnight, Goodnight, Goodnight. My memory! Only sang it last night...

15. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

We sometimes open with an adapted version of "We're Brownie Guides" to suit the modern promise, sung in a circle. Whether or not we sing it depends on the mood of the girls and how much time we have.
    We finish with traditional Brownie Bells (but are always open to changing it if the girls change their mind, they are offered roughly annually if they want to change it, and if they asked any other time it would be discussed as a unit) done with linked swinging arms.

16. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

We have a 'readings' book for the end of Brownie meetings, it contains a 50/50 mix of prayers, and of readings which are neutral of any religion. The duty Six chooses from the book, and have a free choice.

17. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

New version of Brownie song - substitute "to do our best" where it used to be "to love our God".
    Our girls rewrote Brownie Bells like this...
    Thank you so much
    We have had fun
    See you next week
    Go safely home.
    Hm, I wasn't sure at first because I'm a perfectionist and it doesn't really rhyme, but I'm getting used to it and it sounds ok when sung. It has the benefit of still having the same tune so it will fit in when we go to district events.