1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

New to guiding and very confused

Discussion in 'Leadership Qualification' started by Happymummy90, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Happymummy90

Happymummy90 (Newbie)

I have volunteered at my daughters rainbows unit since June / July time and finally received my registration number for go in September. I am a leader in training however I have no idea what training I am required to do except for the safe space and 1st response. I have done my 1st response, I turned up on the day with no idea that I needed to be booked on before hand. As for safe space I have tried to enrole on a course however I have not received a reply to my enquiry so I am unsure on how to progress with that. I have had no information since receiving my login for go and membership number.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Hi,
    Your Unit Leader and District Commissioner are the ones to talk to about this as the Commissioner or local LQ Coordinator will need to order a workbook and allocate a mentor to help you through it.

Safe space has recently been revamped so the first bits are all online, but I think you also have to attend a face to face chat after doing the level 2 e-learning (you'll only do 1&2 unless you're in charge). Everyone's getting used to the new stuff, so that might be why you've heard nothing. Google safe space Girlguiding and the modules come up.

Hope your Commissioner is helpful!

3. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Ps just asked a friend who is local to you and the office is closed for half term so she advises you just turn up to the safe space training today if that's what you tried to book. If you'd like her email I can message it to you :)

4. Happymummy90

Happymummy90 (Newbie)

As I thought that you have to book a place on safe space so I agreed to work today as I had not had any information part from day, time, place that I had found on the training calendar. I am hoping that there will be other sessions added later on for it. I was under the impression that safe space was to be done at these sessions and not online with just a few exceptions depending on circumstances. The unit I am at is currently ran by 2 leaders in training, thankfully the other leader has completed both safe space and fist response and is in the process of completing her workbook.

5. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I fear that you do need to sit down with your District Commissioner and go through all that will need to be done, how you can access the information about trainings and what else is happening in your area, events etc.

Safe space trainings are changing. Previously it was a 'one size fits all' training of about 3 hours long. However a revised programme is starting to be rolled out in modular form and as was said above, unless you are aiming to be a leader in charge of a unit, completing the online modules 1 and 2 together with a chat with your commissioner will suffice.

You should also at some point complete a training looking specifiically at the Rainbow programme and your County may run one of those at some point.

Most formal trainings will need to be booked as some will have limits on numbers, but as they are all run by volunteers they will want to know how many are coming, what refreshments are required, are enough people coming to make it viable.

Most of the other aspects of the training will be done 'on the job'. By simply taking a full part in running the unit, some background reading on how Guiding is set up and some of our policies etc and some discussions with your fellow leaders, your District Commissioner and your mentor will cover the critieria.

If you haven't seen the welcome video, it is well worth watching....Good Luck and don't be afraid of asking questions locally or on here..

Nano likes this.