1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Making a Rainbow Flag

Discussion in 'Badges and Misc' started by Rainmaker91, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Rainmaker91

Rainmaker91 Beginner (10+ posts)

We are looking to get a new flag for our Rainbows to be able to use alongside the other uniformed organisations, but we are a joint unit and wanted one flag for both units. The official shop won't let us have both names on the flag and we can't afford to have two flags so we are looking at making one.

Has anyone done this before and do you have any advice or tips? As far as I can see there is no official ruling on how the flag needs to be set out, but I want this to be special and it to be proudly used for many years to come.

Thanks

2. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

As best as I know there are no rules as you are not suppose to make your own anymore, except for TSS (?) but then you have to follow set rules and get it sent off to a heraldic place . I'll check it out and get back!

3. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

Make a banner

How to use our brand

You could make a banner instead. If you email the branding team they might be able to help you, or direct you to someone that can!

4. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

If you make your own, you would have to get the design cleared by the relevant flag authority - Court of the Lord Lyon in Scotland, College of Heralds in England. There is a fair bit of expense involved. It would be cheaper to save up/fundraise towards flags for each section of the unit.

5. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I'm a little confused about the joint unit aspect ? Are you two Rainbow units that meet at the same place & time ( ie 1st & 2nd Village Rainbows ) or are you a Rainbow & Brownie unit that meet at the same time ( 1st Village Rainbows & 1st Village Brownies).

Surely if you meet at the same time and place together and are the same section, you are effectively the same unit. It may be hard to choose one unit identity over another but you may be causing hard work for yourselves in many different ways trying to maintain the two unit aspect..