1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with new girls 'turning up'

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by ker-stee, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

How do you all deal with new girls just turning up?

I had a current Brownie walk in on Monday saying 'We've got a new girl starting tonight' and this girl came in with her parents and started playing with girls from school.

Parents told me she would like to join and do we have space? Now, we do (just) however I don't know how comfortable I would have been saying no to these parents if they were already through the door and the girl was playing if I didn't.

I imagine they didn't mean to put me under any pressure, but that's what it felt like - the pressure to say yes. If they had emailed, then I would have been totally comfortable saying 'They'll have to wait until XXXX' but I just froze with parents and girl standing in front of me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with these types of enquiries? (This is asking for Scouts now too as I have to start a waiting list for them too!)

2. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

I have turned girls away before, it is not fun but sometimes it needs to be done. The other option is to say we don't have space at the moment, she is welcome to visit tonight to see if she likes it and then we will arrange for her to start properly on xxx date.

Then you remind current girls and parents about asking you first before inviting friends.

ker-stee, badgemad4 and Quack like this.
  3. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

'It's very kind of you to bring Flossie along. However, I will have to check whereabouts on my waiting list she will be once registered. I'm sure that you understand. Here are the details for registering Flossie. Once that's done, I'll email you with an estimated start date.'

fenris and ker-stee like this.
  4. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

We have a disclaimer in our unit information sheet (which is sent to new joiners and once every few months to everyone when there are updates/ needs reminding) that was "borrowed" from another unit, outlining that we don't take turn ups or "one off visitors" (i.e. Cousin is round for dinner can they come along for the night). I'll dig it out and post it to share :)

ker-stee likes this.
  5. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

I would say "Unfortunately we have a waiting list, but you can stay tonight as your 'visit'". We usually offer a visit anyway the term before a girl starts, so I would just not offer that in this case as they have already tried it for 1 meeting.

6. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

“A friend would like to join Brownies”/ “A friend or cousin has come for dinner and would like to come along just for the night- is this possible?”
    We always love for people to be interested in joining the unit/Guiding, please pass along our email or refer them to the national website and we will be in touch with them.
    We cannot accommodate unexpected/one off child visitors (even those who are Guiding members elsewhere). This is because we plan all of our activities around our existing members, their abilities, any allergies/ sensitivities, and our adult to child ratios.

If someone was to press us it would be explained that we have this policy because:
    1. If we were doing an evening that had limited resources or needed prior permission it could be very boring for the girl having to sit out if it wasn't something we could work around. A pamper evening, anything with food, visitors who charge by number...
    2. We only take girls at the start of term, so it could be disheartening for a girl to be told she cannot join for potentially a couple of months (and thats if we don't have a WTJ list)

7. Jenniferk863

Jenniferk863 Beginner (10+ posts)

We are flexible just now because we were a small unit. We'll need a new policy soon though as I realised the other day I have almost 30 members (we're a joint guide/senior section unit).

8. BigHedgehog

BigHedgehog Beginner (10+ posts)

We've had a couple recently - one of which we had room to take, the other we couldn't. The one we couldn't, we explained that we were full, but would likely have room in a few months when some go to Guides - mum was more than happy with that.