1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Information: Church Parade - church services

Discussion in 'Library' started by shazzabat, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. shazzabat

shazzabat Nanny Ogg GuiderPlus

:D I was given a challenge by my vicar earlier this year and it was to lead the church parade service. The theme was up to me and I could do what was necessary to involve the girls and their parents.

What a challenge. I used my regular Sunday service sheet as an advice sheet to follow. Then changed it; ditched the holy communion, too many prayers, collect and over the top too many hymns. Added the girls to write their own prayers, the girls to have picked the theme (after giving them several choices) and picked hymns and songs that were appropriate for a mixed audience, i.e. songs that the girls may sing in school assembly and the occasional traditional hymn.

So, I have done it. So far I have done the Thinking Day service, Mothers Day service and am currently planning the Harvest Festival for September. The Family service was a knockout and the church was packed. A cheer and clap for the child who admitted she was scared while standing at the mike. Loads of smiles and lots of good comments by the congregation afterwards.

If anyone would like a copy of the powerpoint for the services please let me know.

I know they are not perfect but what service is when involving children? More to the point, the girls themselves had fun and time was spent with them during their last meeting to explain what the service was going to be about.

Dionysia likes this.
  2. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

It's good that it seems to be working for those who are eligible to attend the services. I know unless you happen to be a closed-sponsored unit it does take careful handling, especially when you have to ensure that the girls are clear that attendance is 100% voluntary and unpressured, and of course, when doing in-unit preparations means also having fun activities for those who are not going to the service.

3. Em_Oranges

Em_Oranges Veteran (100+ posts)

That sounds like a great idea, I wish we were given the opportunity to do something like that. The church are often quite disapproving at the low numbers who come to church parade, but we do make sure they know it's voluntary and don't pressure them into coming. We're getting a new vicar in a couple of weeks so might be a good time to introduce the idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. shazzabat

we had the same problem to the point when we were lucky to have five girls in total who would turn up - two of those were leaders daughters..

the good news is that we made sure we advertised it to the parents too AND said that their daughter was having an active part in it. We had a cracking turn out for the family service, and I mean parents who turned out to support their daughter.

We are a closed unit and I happen to be a member of the church council which helps to a point. Since the first service I have now had a couple of the church members approach me and ask if they can help with the presentation! It's lovely to hear them ask and no, I haven't said no to them. One of them has a book which tells the bible stories and explaining the stories too. We used it for the family service and I shall be asking the same lady for a little bit of advice for the harvest festival too.

5. shazzabat

I forgot to say we used the story of Noah due to the heavy rains that we had all been experiencing. The YL's drew a huge ark, the brownies cut out and coloured in the animals to stick on it during the service and the Guides helped paint it. During the service members of the congregation could stick the animals in and around the ark while we were singing, The Animals Went in Two by Two.

Hymns included Who put the Colours in the Rainbow; All Things Bright and Beautiful; Wide, wide as the ocean; Go Tell it on the Mountain. You could tell when the girls enjoyed the 'songs' because they sang the loudest.

6. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

That's interesting, I haven't known many closed-sponsored units, because the option hasn't been available for many years and most of the closed-sponsored units in my area have either closed or gone open-sponsored. Sorry to sidetrack, but what are the advantages, and do you have any difficulty with ineligible girls asking to join because their pals are in the unit?

7. Jaffa

Jaffa Veteran (100+ posts)

we have church parade, they don't have to attend but most do, we had 90% turn up last time. We aren't closed sponsored but do things in church. All the girls in the unit were christened on one of the two churches in our name, this isn't a requirement but just a co-incidence. We do a fair bit with church but that is because its relevant for our girls, who all have contact with church as part of village life. Where we are is rather like going back 30 years in time!

Dionysia likes this.
  8. Beech Tree

Beech Tree Beginner (10+ posts)

I'm almost ashamed to say it but we've given up trying to get them to Church Parade. Many are routinely doing other activities or elsewhere with blended families.
    Last straw was when the vicar persuaded us to make a special effort then produced a service which was way above their heads (mine too - it included making financial spreadsheets!) He then proceeded to ask three of the Guides to stand up at the front and asked everyone in the congregation to look at them extremely closely and identify differences between them. He hadn't forewarned or asked them and they were mortified! I doubt they'll step foot in a church for a long time after that.
    The church does support us well in other ways and we always try to make contribution to functions such as church fetes, etc.

9. Clover*

Clover* Veteran (100+ posts) GuiderPlus

To be honest I don't blame you especially after that service. They are at a vulnerable age and don't need that.

We've not been in the last year as I've been Ill and struggle with mornings evening when I've been in bed at 7pm, mornings are when I'm most at risk of fainting which happens without warning.

We did go and got a reasonable attendance but I just can't manage it, and our other leaders live half an hour away each and one has a baby and the other doesn't drive

10. chopperchick

chopperchick Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Please, please, please, please, please DO NOT feel ashamed at saying that.
    Church parades, whilst an interesting and important part of life for some, are not part of the guiding programme, such that attendance should always be voluntary and appropriate to your overall programme.

So, please don't feel guilty.

Tez10 and fenris like this.
  11. MummySquirrel

MummySquirrel Veteran (100+ posts)

shazzabat - I would like a copy of the powerpoint for services - we invite the girls (Rainbows, Brownies and Guides) to Church Parade Services and there are also Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. We have recently got a new vicar who is reviewing the services and is really keen to encourage and involve the children more. The youth leaders have already had a meeting with him and shared one or two ideas which he has implemented and he asked for a list of hymns/songs that the children know and enjoy (he has used these at the end of services and at Church Parades. I'm sure he would be happy to view or listen to any suggestions

12. LittleBrownOwl85

LittleBrownOwl85 Beginner (10+ posts)

Our District has been asked if we would like to run a service based on the Big Brownie Birthday - in the hope of encouraging some of the less willing girls to attend just one service!
    Only problem is coming up with a new idea on what to do - we did old uniforms etc for the Guides 100th birthday!
    Any suggestions?

13. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Well, since you've looked at the last 100 years . . . Given what has changed for Brownies over the past 100 years, could they have a go at guessing what might change in the next 100 years?

14. Luffy

Luffy Newly Qualified Brownie Guider

I would be interested in your PowerPoint too. We have taken part in services before and have always struggled for ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. shazzabat

Hi Fenris,
    Just catching up again. I have no idea if we have had any advantages but we have always accepted girls from outside of the CofE religion because I have always made it known to the vicar(s) that we cannot close to girls from other religions. What tends to happen is the child goes to their temple or church on our sunday parades instead. One of girls was Buddhist and her mum and dad made sure that she attended other parades such as Thinking Day, Remembrance Sunday etc. instead. I just accept that we're lucky to have had vicars who have been very welcoming of the youth groups. Our biggest problems have been with the older members in the DCC committee and congregation and definitely previous church wardens from the older brigade. Good job I've got broad shoulders and will defend my girls and leaders to the 'nth' degree if I feel an injustice has occurred. And through sheer dogged determination I'm now a member of the same said DCC committee. That makes a huge difference as being a member of this church committee I am representing the youth in the church.

16. shazzabat

There is a very good website that has provided me with the music, hymns and songs as well as the service ideas to help me. It's provided by the Church of England and is intended for use by schools.

http://www.worshipworkshop.org.uk/resources/

17. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Ahh. If you were closed-sponsored, then you wouldn't be able to accept any girls who were not attached to the sponsoring body, which was why I asked. If open-sponsored you can (and should) so long as you are within terms of your sponsor agreement - and the agreement has to fit in with current Guiding policy, so would require open-ness.

18. joybot

joybot (Newbie)

This has been a really interesting thread with some great ideas, thanks. Thanks too for the WorshipWorkshop link.

We don't get that many Rainbows/Brownies/Guides attending church parades, but it's great that those who do come, choose to come. The church are pleased to have the girls involved on a Sunday, I think many churches are just pleased when young people choose to come to church at all. The vicar of our sponsoring church has a lot of time for Guiding, and makes a point to meet with Guiders and come along to our weekly meetings from time to time. The important thing is that, when girls do come to church parade, they feel welcome and that they are a valued part of the church family.

Our Rainbow unit is turning 20 this year and we've been invited to do a Sunday morning meeting (where we're also getting the new Rainbows flag dedicated). Hope to report back with how it went!

I've been involved in running all-age (family) services at a number of different churches outside of Guiding. We use a number of different elements (traditional hymns, songs with actions based on British Sign Language, craft time, acted-out stories and sketches, puppets and more) and keep things pretty fast-moving. Websites like EngageWorship.org have some great ideas and free songs/videos which might come in handy, and there's an all-age resource called The All-In Thing which has some craft & song ideas that are suitable for, well, all ages! (The All-In Thing | BIG Ministries).

19. Deb Wilkey

Deb Wilkey (Newbie)

iF YOU STILL HAVE THE POWERPOINT FOR THINKING DAY SERVICE PLEASE COULD i HAVE COPY - THANKS DEB