1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Catering for the oldest guide

Discussion in 'Question & Answers' started by Burghilly, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

I 'm looking for a bit of guidance. Most of my Unit are yr 6 & 7 except for one who has just turn 14 and is half way through her BP. Between us we decided she'd step down from Patrol Leader to give the others a chance and she'd now like to start doing a few Unit leadership tasks - such as helping the younger ones with craft or organising a game.

She wants to finish her BP so has not joined SS but I need to find her a definite role in the unit - not just 'helping out the younger ones'. How can I keep her engaged and look forward to coming to Guides each week? I don't want her to get bored with just helping out .

2. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

I would give her a specific task for the next week - and encourage her to get through the BP as quickly as she can - so 2 x games week 1 plus BP time for her to sort stuff, next week working with the new guides on what the promise means (with a leader) while others look at challenge badges plus BP time etc.... this may work, and although it is 'helping out the younger ones' it is also giving her time at Guides to crack on with BP, allowing her to move up to TSS as soon as she can, so she gets to spend time in that section too. If she enjoys being a little bit more responsible then she can come back as a YL!

3. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

What skills does she have - could she teach a particular topic, whether dance, or songs, or a craft, or backwoods/survival, or wherever her talents lie?

Could she mentor the PLs, giving them support, help and advice where required, or organise PL training sessions?

Could she create a unit resource - a readings book, a games book, a leaflet for new Guides telling them about the unit and what it does?

Could she manage the unit website and other online resources, under the supervision of one of the Leaders?

4. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. I think she'd be great at coaching the current patrol leaders. I also like the idea of her using some of the time to do BP work, as I know they get so busy with school work in Yr9.