1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Camping and first aid tents

Discussion in 'Camping and Sleepovers' started by fluffy_owl7, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:20 PM.

1. fluffy_owl7

fluffy_owl7 (Newbie)

I'm taking my Guides camping for the first time at the end of the month, and just going through the tents. When we went years ago under a different leader team we had a big leader tent that has 3 or 4 sleeping pods and used one pod as a first aid area with a sick bed.
    I can't find anywhere on the girlguiding website about first aid/sick bed rules. I don't want to take the big tent as there will only be 2 leaders in it, but is a tent with a curtain partition in a sleeping area ok to have one half as the sick bed area and the other half for the 2 leaders?! What do others normally do?

2. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I think you need to answer your own question...what is the purpose of a first aid 'tent/area'? Do you use it as somewhere to store the first aid equipment, cleaning equipment, spare bedding ? Will you use it as somewhere for a girl to have a lay down if headachy/homesick/feeling poorly, in the expectation that half an hour later they will recover to join back in ? Will it be somewhere for a girl who is ill to be isolated until they can be collected by parents etc..

Would your half tent be suitable for any or all of those tasks?

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

3. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

Instead of one pod of a large tent, could you use the enclosed 'front porch' of the first aider's tent, or a small expedition tent on its own, or a corner of the storm shelter if there's one on your site? I'm not sure what kind of a campsite you will be in or what types of tents you are using..?

4. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

Whatever sort of tent you take it needs to be big enough to stand up in as last thing either you or the 'patient' want is to be scrabbling about on the floor. I would also make sure it is a separate tent all of it's own, rather than a pod off the leaders tent - leaders need their rest and should anyone go down with anything infectious you really don't want to be sharing a tent with someone who might be sick all night.

If you have a large 1st Aid tent you can use it to store extra bedding or should the worst happened and a patrol tent has some kind of 'fail' you can also use it as a backup / emergency accommodation for girls.

Yes - it might seem a hassle to take (yet) another tent but Guide camp requires so much equipment anyway that throwing another tent in the trailer probably won't make that much difference to the packing but could prove to be very useful as a 'just in case.'

fenris likes this.
  5. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

I haven't had a first aid tent for a fair few years. Spare sleeping bags, blankets, hot water bottles yes, but not an actual tent. We have made sure that there would be space within adults tents to separate a guide if required. I will point out we have only been 1 -2 hours away, and if a girl is that ill to need proper segregation I would be working out how to get her home!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Sunny2nd and Epona like this.
  6. Epona

Epona Veteran (100+ posts)

Yes, the first aid 'tent' is a temporary treatment space, anything more serious is a 'get her home/to clinic' event.

7. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Yes - so long as you had an option for the 'meantime' period.

Epona likes this.
  8. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

I always assume the most disruptive illnesses - ie being sick - will occur at night time so to able to quickly whisk a girl out of the patrol tent and into another empty first aid tent should cause minimal disruption for everyone.

Also, you will get girls that simple need a bit of space. I was at County camp recently for 5 days and it was the first time for a lot of girls. It was very busy and very full-on and one girl simply needed a couple of quiet hours lying down away from everyone. She was actually ill, just very overwhelmed - busy camp, little sleep, first time away from home, sharing a tent etc. and after some quiet time she felt loads better and went on to enjoy the rest of the camp. On this occasion the quiet, cool first aid tent was perfect for this.

fenris likes this.
  9. Tregi

Tregi Veteran (100+ posts)

I agree with this, however as on big camps space is limited, a pod in an adults tent is a much better use of space.
    When I have had girls that need a quiet space, they have used a leaders bed-last camp one fell asleep there and we carried her to her own tent fast asleep!!!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk