1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Brownie Pocket Books c.1968-1990.

Discussion in 'Question & Answers' started by jo10, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jo10

jo10 Beginner (10+ posts)

I have been doing Brownie Traditions recently which has set me thinking about my Brownie days from 1979. When I was a Brownie we had little books we kept with us. They were all pocket sized. They all had plain covers with a trefoil in white outlined on the front and white text on them. I think that they were orange, brown, green, red and blue. At the top the said Brownie Guide. Then I think one was a Promise Book you did before enrolment. Then maybe one each tear as they matched the yearly Birthday badge colours of the time and the blue one either preparing for or when you went to guides. Can anyone tell me anything more about them?

I would especially like to know what each book was called and contained. If anyone has any photos of the covers or pdfs/images of the inside pages I would love to see them. Thanks. Jo.

2. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

I still have my 4 pocket books starting from 1977 . What do you want to know?

We hated them! It was expected that they had to be in our pockets every meeting and when it was the night for doing them we all groaned! We had to sit down at tables and it was like doing school work. One night, my friend and I read the page that challenged us to play the shadow game - can you step on your friend's shadow while avoiding her stepping on yours? We gave it a try- and got well and truly told off for getting out of our seats! Ah, things have changed!!!

3. Kochanski

I just dug these out. There is apparently no rhyme or reason to the categories 'stuff I can put my hands on' and 'no idea where it is'.

Book 1, green, 1978, 3p, is pre-promise and covers story, motto, law, promise etc. We worked through this every week for 4 weeks' worth of meetings and did nowt else, didn't join in with anything other than register at the start and Brownie Bells at the end. But it was new and exciting in the early days so we didn't argue.

Book 2, red, also 1978 and 3p, is about the footpath. It has spaces to record interest badges and ventures. There are challenges for the 8 point programme.

Book 3, brown, 1977, 4p (what's the logic there?!), is about the road. It is very similar to book 2 but instead of setting challenges sometimes it asks girls to record what they did. Presumably, this was still dictated but the owls in those days.

Book 4, blue, 1978, 4p, boy did I feel I was it when I got this one! It's about the highway, the challenges are definitely at a higher level, and at the end it has a couple of pages about going up to Guides.

Epona likes this.
  4. jo10

Thanks. That makes sense and fits with stuff I remember in 1979-1983. I remember getting the footpath, road, highway badges and using these books but not what was in them. I think we may have done one each year and got our birthday badges when completed.

5. Kochanski

You should have been given your birthday badge on the anniversary of making your promise. It wasn't earned.

6. jo10

Yes you're right. I did get my birthday badges each year on my anniversary and the blue one as I moved to guides. Bad wording. What I should have written was we got Birthday badges for each year which we completed at Brownies. I think we went through a book each year inbetween our brownie birthdays. The last one (blue) after being there three years before going to guides. I can't remember properly. It was some time ago now! Thanks for your help.

7. jo10

HAs anyone got any images of these books or their contents please.

8. Kochanski

I have the books here and don't mind taking photos - what do you want? Bear in mind they are 16, 20, 20 and 24 pages long!

9. jo10

Thanks for the offer. I don't expect you to take 80 plus pages that's for sure! If you could photograph the four front covers. One of the back covers if it isn't plain. Then maybe the contents page if they have them and a few of the earlier pages of the brown book to give me an idea and see if it jogs any memories.

In an ideal world I would love to have my original books to look through! I don't know why I haven't got them.

(If anyone in the future reading this already has a PDF or images of any the full of any of the books I would love a look).

Thanks.

10. Kochanski

Sending photos to jo10

11. Shona576

Shona576 (Newbie)

Would it be possible to post the photo's here, I was just having a conversation about them yesterday and it would be great to look though them again.

12. Kochanski

Could you talk me through how to do that, please?