1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Adverts

Discussion in 'Website Related' started by Rainbow Brownie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rainbow Brownie

Rainbow Brownie (Newbie) GuiderPlus

I love this forum but the amount of spam and adverts that are appearing is frustrating. Can we do anything to remove these posts and block the spammers?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Trust me, nobody is more frustrated that Quack and I are over this. Unfortunately we are still waiting for a response from the site owners. In the meantime we are deleting and banning spammers as quickly as we can (we are volunteers too!)...Often we manage to ban before they spam too, but unfortunately we can't be around 24/7, and as the vast majority of the spam originates in a different time zone, it can quickly build up in the unsociable hours.

We are doing our best! :)

Millie likes this.
  3. Rainbow Brownie

Rainbow Brownie (Newbie) GuiderPlus

It wasn't a criticism I appreciate everything you guys do. I guess my question should have been "what can I do to help You?" X

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tez10 likes this.
  4. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I don't think there is much more any of us can do at the moment. The site admins are trying to come up with a system whereby genuine forum members can be registered and post but spammers get blocked. The spammers though are very cunning, a variety of emails, Ip addresses, timezones etc . We try to block before posting and may have blocked genuine members inadvertently.

All we can do is to continue good practice on here, no email addresses or personal details, report spam and be patient with us..

badgemad4 likes this.
  5. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

Would it be worth the site owners speaking to the guys at EScouts to see how they handle it? They get little to no spam on their boards and i'm sure they'd be willing to help.

Adverts wise - upgrading to Guiders+ gets rid of those

6. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

Is it just the two of you modding these days? If so am extra thank you! :)
    If you need extra pairs of hands I'm sure some people would come forward; it's been a while since I have seen a request for mods (although it may be that some are still working away but not posting as much).

fenris likes this.
  7. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

There are a number of people with mod "powers" but I think the forum has got so much quieter these days that most of them haven't been online for a considerable amount of time. Even I disappeared for a bit at the start of the year but poor Quack has been dealing with a lot of the flack single-handedly!

Aside from the spam, *touch wood* the forum is a lot easier to manage than it was a few years ago when we first joined the team - not as many of you and you mostly play nicely rather than having spats! Occasionally we might move a thread to a better forum, but I'd say 99% of it is deleting spam...

We are getting very accustomed to where in the world or particular emails that scream *spam*, and what times we can expect the floodgates to be open!!

Tez10, badgemad4 and Quack like this.