• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: There will be no stopping in Yellow or Blue Land

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Whenever I hear the phrase “Guiding journey” I can’t help but think of trains. I imagine each area/district as a train route with cohorts of girls being the different scheduled trains. Some passengers will go all the way to the end of the line, others will only make one stop. Some might hop on and off. Some might decide that they liked being on the train so much they want to be part of the train company.

But some people’s journeys are shorter than others. The Guiding train might be a detour for them before they realise that they want to be on the Express sport line that doesn’t allow for any other stops . They might find that the Guiding trains values and objectives are not line with their own or suit their personality, after the conductor has told them they need to simmer down for the sake of the other passengers.

But sometimes due to operational restraints or work on the line a “full journey” isn’t possible. There’s no one to be the conductor for turquoise land, tickets for yellow land are overbooked until blue land or to get to blueland require making a long change over.

*TLDR/You don’t like extended metaphors, Not everywhere has every section, there is high demand for some sections meaning girls might not get a place whilst in age range, or the only unit for that section is a distance*

Resources assume that girls will carry on to the next section, the programme prepares girls for the next section, and we are encouraged to tell girls “when you are in X you will”. And this isn’t always possible for whatever reason. But how does this affect how you:
  • Talk about further Guiding
  • Handle girls in their last term
  • Help parents and girls see that they need to move on even though there isn’t the next section
  • And tips for how to collaborate with other Guiding areas for places

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
When we didn't have a next section we still told girls about Guides but we simply said that there wasn't one where we were but they could go to another place. I was a YL at the time so I'm not sure exactly what parents were told.

When I was an AL with a Guide unit that didn't have a TSS easily accessible we sent parents a letter explaining what options were locally available- but made it clear that the term after their 14th birthday if they weren't working on an award it would be their last term with the Guide unit as the spaces were needed.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
In my experience, most girls get a go at being a Brownie or a Guide, and it's the two pale blue sections that are often the occasional stops. In my unit, only 1 girl out of 10 was a rainbow.
Also, in my area, lones isn't really set up and so a girl has to be very motivated to follow the programme so that doesn't always work, particularly for the younger sections.
But when I used to do guides with no senior section, we used BP as a good way to talk about finishing guides so girls didn't stay after they turned 15.