• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: Presenting badges

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
How do you present badges and awards to young members in your unit? It might seem like a basic question but there’s more variety than you might first think!

Do you wait until the end of term or as soon as it’s earned? Are the badges kept in a special place until they are awarded such as on top of a toadstool or in a unit mascots arms? Do you hand them over with a handshake and sign? Do you do it girl by girl or grouped by badge?…

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
We just award it at the end of the meeting when we are in a circle doing any notices etc before taps, as soon as they have earnt it and we've got it. We do the handshake and sign and try to have each girl come up one by one. Occasionally if its the whole unit and we are short on time then we just give them out. They just sit in a box in the cupboard until we give them.

Interested to hear what others do.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
Since the start of the Autumn term when the new badges were introduced I had concerns that our award presentation was not special enough, having been made when in a circle at the end as soon as they were earned, so I made a4 card copies of the 12 skills builders (one on each side of each colour) and laminated them, I also made one chart with the 6 theme awards for later. I have started getting the girls to tell the others how they earned their interest badges before presenting them, but still have concerns it may still not be special enough, so will be interested in how others award badges.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Since the start of the Autumn term when the new badges were introduced I had concerns that our award presentation was not special enough, having been made when in a circle at the end as soon as they were earned, so I made a4 card copies of the 12 skills builders (one on each side of each colour) and laminated them, I also made one chart with the 6 theme awards for later. I have started getting the girls to tell the others how they earned their interest badges before presenting them, but still have concerns it may still not be special enough, so will be interested in how others award badges.
So you give them a big cutout instead of/as well as the actual cloth badge? Or have I misunderstood.

One rule we have is that they don't get badges unless they are wearing uniform.

Glimfeather

Beginner (10+ posts)
We do it once earned and badge bought. Handshake and sign, one by one. We're traditional with stuff like this - our promise ceremony is quite something! We also march into horseshoe at the beginning and taps at the end.

BigBlueCanoe

Beginner (10+ posts)
I give out badges as they're earnt and as soon after I've managed to get the badges from the shop as I can ( I get badgered in the nicest possible way for them otherwise) The girls get them at the end of meetings while stood in a Brownie circle, just before Brownie Bells. We try to do the salute and handshake before handing over the badges individually.... the salute they get but I've noticed that a fair few struggle with shaking hands as a concept....

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It depends on scale. For interest badges, Brownie Adventure/Guide Challenge Badges or Skills Builders, it would be ASAP, and in the circle/horseshoe at the end of the meeting.

For BP we would have a special party night. Have yet to decide whether to do something extra for Theme Awards or save it for Gold Award - plenty of time to consider it as it'll be at least a year before anyone gives out any theme awards.

Spittal Belle

Beginner (10+ posts)
So you give them a big cutout instead of/as well as the actual cloth badge? Or have I misunderstood.

One rule we have is that they don't get badges unless they are wearing uniform.
I made the cut outs as a substitute for a Podium they could stand on, or in front of when their badge was being presented

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I give out badges as they're earnt and as soon after I've managed to get the badges from the shop as I can ( I get badgered in the nicest possible way for them otherwise) The girls get them at the end of meetings while stood in a Brownie circle, just before Brownie Bells. We try to do the salute and handshake before handing over the badges individually.... the salute they get but I've noticed that a fair few struggle with shaking hands as a concept....
Exactly what we do but we tend to give them out at the end of term unless it’s something we’ve completed as a whole unit on the night and have the badges ready.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I give them out as they're earned, unless i'm still waiting for them! We're doing lots of badges to use up stock from the old programme currently, so i'm now only ordering what I need from the badge secretary once we have completed it all and I know exactly how many I need to buy!

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
We award badges at the end of the meeting, in the circle, before Brownie Bells. Girls are talked up a bit, praise for effort and a couple of things they did in an attempt to inspire others, then they come forward. I give them the badge and a left handshake. Then they step back to their place and we all do a "well done too-whit too-whoo".

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
We have Rainbows and so we used to award them as they were earnt, but this term with the new programme, and the possibility of some not getting all badges, we decided to award all badges at the end of each half term. I put them in a named money bag, so they don't drop them and loose them!
I think there are advantages to this in that those who sew them on, get a batch at a time, whereas before it may be one one week and another the next. Also it's good to ask them to remember what we did for each badge and see if they can remember from a few weeks back. I did make a special mention of the girl who got two extra badges! She has done 2 interest badges. They all came up and made the guide sign to receive their bag of badges.