• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Uniform

Hi, I'm 16 year old and was wondering what uniform I could wear. We have official uniform for out of the building but while inside we have personalised unform. Mine has become too small and I was wondering if I could wear adult colours while inside the building?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It's a straightforward no. Adult uniform is strictly for Leaders who are over 18.

The only garments which are uniform are the official ones. Any unit clothes are 'fun tops' - okay for camps and holidays but not for anywhere uniform would normally be worn - like unit meetings, District events, etc. Since it'll be at least a year and possibly two until you could wear adult uniform, it would be worth looking to source second-hand uniform to tide you over - it comes up on sites like Ebay, or there may be someone in your area who would be able to help with sourcing.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I don't understand why you don't wear uniform to unit meetings....that's what it's for as much as when you're out and about...why ask parents to shell out twice?

Anyway, long and short of it is no, you're not an adult, so your uniform or uniform non-uniform if that matches section wear (all the more reason for why bother) should match the Ranger section colours, aqua, grey.

When you're 18, you can wear the adult colours. Otherwise parents and girls get confused over your role and responsibilities.:)

We do have uniform, many units in the district have unofficial uniform for those children who may not be able to afford official uniform or as extra for camps or messy crafts

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yes, you can, but you won't be awarded it until you are 18, so even if you complete it before then, you are still a Young Leader, so should wear Young Leader/Ranger colours :)

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Trying to find some second hand uniform to tide you over may be the way to go as there will be new uniform launched in the Autumn for TSS/Rangers so you could find yourself being one of the first to get it...
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time being a leader, use this time to enjoy being part of the Senior Section..

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We do have uniform, many units in the district have unofficial uniform for those children who may not be able to afford official uniform or as extra for camps or messy crafts
Sounds back to front given uniform is what they will need to have and suitable for all occasions - whereas the fun tops can only really be worn at camps, so are essentially an unnecessary extra expense.

Sounds back to front given uniform is what they will need to have and suitable for all occasions - whereas the fun tops can only really be worn at camps, so are essentially an unnecessary extra expense.
Ok, that is your opinion. Our parents like it and it works for our unit and I know many other like it. No one is forcing parents to buy it but it means our girls have no excuse to not be wearing uniform at meetings (even if their parents may struggle to afford official uniform)
Anyway I wasn't asking about that but thank you for your opinion anyway

Trying to find some second hand uniform to tide you over may be the way to go as there will be new uniform launched in the Autumn for TSS/Rangers so you could find yourself being one of the first to get it...
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time being a leader, use this time to enjoy being part of the Senior Section..
Thank you

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ok, that is your opinion. Our parents like it and it works for our unit and I know many other like it. No one is forcing parents to buy it but it means our girls have no excuse to not be wearing uniform at meetings (even if their parents may struggle to afford official uniform)
They are not wearing uniform at meetings - they are wearing casual wear. Uniform is the official clothing, not the items that you have as 'unofficial uniform'.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think we should just remember that Bex5202 is a 16 YO YL (no offence), is in the process of learning about leadership and Guiding policy/process/admin and likely doesn’t have the final say on how the unit she volunteers with operates. If it’s clear her unit isn’t exactly following Guiding policy, I think we should give her some credit for trying to find out an answer in the wider Guiding community.

Bex it might seem like people are trying to argue with you about opinion/ interpretation of Guiding “rules” so here is information directly from central Guiding. Uniform and clothing

People are always happy to help on here and on other places like FB groups but the Guiding website will normally have the definitive answer and someone at headquarters can answer question via email or phone call :) Please feel that you can come back here in the future and not like coming for help ended in a “telling off”.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I think we are having a terminology problem here. In Guiding, 'uniform' has a strict definition - the manual states which garments count as uniform for each section, and they are the garments in the Trading Catalogue marked as being uniform for each section only. The Senior Section uniform

It may well be that your unit have chosen to buy matching fun tops to wear at camps and other non-uniform occasions, as some units do - but because they are not on the list in the manual they aren't uniform, and shouldn't be worn at any occasion where uniform would be expected (e.g. District events, unit public appearances, unit meetings etc.).

Thank you
I think we should just remember that Bex5202 is a 16 YO YL (no offence), is in the process of learning about leadership and Guiding policy/process/admin and likely doesn’t have the final say on how the unit she volunteers with operates. If it’s clear her unit isn’t exactly following Guiding policy, I think we should give her some credit for trying to find out an answer in the wider Guiding community.

Bex it might seem like people are trying to argue with you about opinion/ interpretation of Guiding “rules” so here is information directly from central Guiding. Uniform and clothing

People are always happy to help on here and on other places like FB groups but the Guiding website will normally have the definitive answer and someone at headquarters can answer question via email or phone call :) Please feel that you can come back here in the future and not like coming for help ended in a “telling off”.
Thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I agree with the above advice - you need to wear Senior Section uniform - but wanted to give an example.

I was at a District day when a Brownie twisted her ankle on uneven grass. Two leaders had to go with her inside to do first aid. The day was set up like a round robin and leaders were on stations, except now 1 station was missing a leader. The District Commissioner saw that another station had two volunteers in adult uniform, so one was tasked with manning the empty one... except she wasn't an adult, she was 15, but didn't feel she could say no to the commissioner. So she dutifully went over and starting doing her best, but she was in such an awkward position because she didn't feel comfortable dealing with 8 brownies by herself. Thankfully, her old guide leader noticed and an adult was found, but that's the kind of thing that can (and does) happen. Wearing the right uniform protects you as well.

By the way, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about your ALQ or any senior section awards but don't want to post on the main site :)