• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

UMAs in Guiding Magazine

GirlFromMars

Veteran (100+ posts)
I received my latest magazine yesterday and was pleased to see that the activites at the back can be counted towards UMA hours. However does anyone know if there will still be the packs to buy? I prefer that they are in the magazine, but with only 1 per section (it said there will be 2 per section next quarter) we will still be struggling to get the correct number of hours for a theme for quite some time.

LittleBrownOwl85

Beginner (10+ posts)
Yes, I believe there is a new pack due out in January.
I suspect that they've decided to add them to the magazine because of all the complaints about there not being enough UMA hours!

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I really like the idea of having 'Bonus UMAs' in the magazine. As the magazines are available digitally as well, units can print easily - and of course, are no longer dependent on one member of the team holding the cards.
If it's any help, when we do our planning, each leader takes a photo of the UMA or SB cards that we are using. That way, it saves photocopying, each of us has access during the time that we need it, and they are easily deleted afterwards. GG have stated that we can copy UMAs and SBs for use within our own units, so we are not breaking copyright.

I will be printing unit copies of UMAs in the magazine, and laminating them, to keep with the packs.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I've scanned the ones that we have to help with planning. It means that I can access them at work, say, and see what I need to prepare or buy for that weeks meeting...

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Does anyone know how long after it is sent out the magazine usually is available online?

Edit: I realise this is bad English but my brain is struggling to rephrase at the moment - I hope you get my meaning

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Does anyone know how long after it is sent out the magazine usually is available online?

Edit: I realise this is bad English but my brain is struggling to rephrase at the moment - I hope you get my meaning
I read parts of the last magazine online before I received my copy a couple of days later.

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
As the magazines are available digitally as well, units can print easily - and of course, are no longer dependent on one member of the team holding the cards.
Am I missing something: I can screenshot, paste, crop & pdf the pages concerned without too much issue but them I'm quite handy at stuff like that, I don't see an easy way for the average leader who isn't so IT literate to print the pages though. There's no obvous "print" button or even an "export" button and it's not like they are downloadable as PDFs as the activities in the last magazine were or have I just not found them yet?

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Am I missing something: I can screenshot, paste, crop & pdf the pages concerned without too much issue but them I'm quite handy at stuff like that, I don't see an easy way for the average leader who isn't so IT literate to print the pages though. There's no obvous "print" button or even an "export" button and it's not like they are downloadable as PDFs as the activities in the last magazine were or have I just not found them yet?
Yes I was thinking that - I couldn't find an easy way either

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
I've just taken a screenshot and copied it into a word doc to print off.
I didn't know the mag was online, so thanks for pointing that out and saving me tearing out the page from my mag!

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
I've just taken a screenshot and copied it into a word doc to print off.
I didn't know the mag was online, so thanks for pointing that out and saving me tearing out the page from my mag!
When I screenshot, it automatically saves as a printable jpeg...

But I agree, a print button would be easier