• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Strategy 2020

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There has been a lot of change in the past year and a fairly mixed view on it overall. Girlguiding are starting to develop the associations five year strategy for 2020 onwards and consultations are open. The first looking at our culture is here The Culture of Girlguiding and open until 17th December. So if you want to have your say on what is important to you, now's your chance.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
There has been a lot of change in the past year and a fairly mixed view on it overall. Girlguiding are starting to develop the associations five year strategy for 2020 onwards and consultations are open. The first looking at our culture is here The Culture of Girlguiding and open until 17th December. So if you want to have your say on what is important to you, now's your chance.
Can we offer feedback on the inpenetrability, contrariness and lack of clarity in the wording of the questionnaire?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
There is a box for further comments at the end. As ever HQ offer the opportunity to get involved at the early part of any project as a volunteer on the steering group and then by continuing consultation processes throughout the project. There's lots of chance to have your say.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don't really want to get involved in any additional tasks, roles or groups at the moment, but I would really like to contribute - and the culture survey is incredibly hard to respond to!

If I do the survey, I will have to answer those questions, and there is no option for 'none of the above' - so by doing the survey, I will be contributing spurious noise into the consultation and possibly skewing the results. But I could then use the text box at the end.

If I don't do the survey, then I will be contributing to evidence that leaders don't want to answer surveys. We do! But ones where you can answer accurately and give alternative answers. And an independent response will be a lone voice.

growlywench

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don't really want to get involved in any additional tasks, roles or groups at the moment, but I would really like to contribute - and the culture survey is incredibly hard to respond to!

If I do the survey, I will have to answer those questions, and there is no option for 'none of the above' - so by doing the survey, I will be contributing spurious noise into the consultation and possibly skewing the results. But I could then use the text box at the end.

If I don't do the survey, then I will be contributing to evidence that leaders don't want to answer surveys. We do! But ones where you can answer accurately and give alternative answers. And an independent response will be a lone voice.
You'll not be a lone voice. I made good use of the text box, as did others I know.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
I gave up on the questionnaire, it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever read, so I never got to the empty box at the end. If this survey reveals anything, it will be that most guiders who get to the end, are totally confused and the results will be meaningless. Whoever dreamt it up cannot be a grass roots guider, none of us would come up with something so pointless

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
I don’t even understand the way to ‘score’
I know, it's ridiculous and really confusing.

Basically, imagine you have 10 tokens. You can spend them however you want, but you want to give more tokens to the things you think are more important / agree with the most, and the least tokens to the ones you disagree with the most/think are least important. Decide for each question how many 'tokens' you will give to each option. Then write the number of 'tokens' next to each option.

Eg. if the question was to divide the 10 'tokens' between each fruit depending on how much you like it then it could look like this:

Apples 2
Oranges 1
Mango 4
Banana 0
Strawberries 3
Lemons 0

(If I hate bananas and lemons, not that keen on oranges, don't mind apples, like strawberries a lot and love mango)

At least I think that's right...

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
I found myself not wanting to use any cyber tokens as I disagreed so much with the options presented to me.
When I had done, "what do I think of GG at the moment" and changed to "what do I want it to be in 2020", but with the same options as before, I simply lost the will to live and gave up.
It is another PR exercise with a pseudo survey.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Yes definitely - tbh I did it a while ago so can't really remember the questions but remember thinking it was pretty stupid!

I guess they were trying to mirror the girls activity with an online survey but didn't actually stop to think if there was a better way to do it.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
I found myself not wanting to use any cyber tokens as I disagreed so much with the options presented to me.
When I had done, "what do I think of GG at the moment" and changed to "what do I want it to be in 2020", but with the same options as before, I simply lost the will to live and gave up.
It is another PR exercise with a pseudo survey.
Yes definitely - tbh I did it a while ago so can't really remember the questions but remember thinking it was pretty stupid!

I guess they were trying to mirror the girls activity with an online survey but didn't actually stop to think if there was a better way to do it.
It is easier for them to do this way, because they count up the number of points and get figures which represent how we see Girlguiding, and how we want to see it.

It is also easier for them because they are constraining how we see it and how we want to see it - both in the options, but also in that you have to use your ten points. They could have included "Girlguiding is..." and boxes to tick with strongly agree/agree/neither/disagree/strongly disagree, plus a text response for each one.

And then they can say, look, we listened to the leaders! So if you don't like it, and didn't take part, it is your own fault.

It feels incredibly manipulative, as well as being a poor example of questionnaire design. Once again, we are not being treated as competent individuals, who might have something to contribute.

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)

Basically, imagine you have 10 tokens. You can spend them however you want, but you want to give more tokens to the things you think are more important / agree with the most, and the least tokens to the ones you disagree with the most/think are least important. Decide for each question how many 'tokens' you will give to each option. Then write the number of 'tokens' next to each option.

Eg. if the question was to divide the 10 'tokens' between each fruit depending on how much you like it then it could look like this:

Apples 2
Oranges 1
Mango 4
Banana 0
Strawberries 3
Lemons 0

(If I hate bananas and lemons, not that keen on oranges, don't mind apples, like strawberries a lot and love mango)

The problem is that if you are a bit keen on apples, quite like bananas, hate the rest of the listed fruit, but adore kiwi, there is no way of giving 2 to apples, 3 to bananas and zero to the rest, plus filling in kiwi as an option. So you will have to give 4 to apples and six to bananas, be given those for the rest of time (because you voted for them!) and never, ever get your kiwi.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
The problem is that if you are a bit keen on apples, quite like bananas, hate the rest of the listed fruit, but adore kiwi, there is no way of giving 2 to apples, 3 to bananas and zero to the rest, plus filling in kiwi as an option. So you will have to give 4 to apples and six to bananas, be given those for the rest of time (because you voted for them!) and never, ever get your kiwi.
Very true!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus

Apples 2
Oranges 1
Mango 4
Banana 0
Strawberries 3
Lemons 0

Is there an option to spend fewer than 10 tokens, if doing so would mean giving items more than you felt they deserved?

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
It is easier for them to do this way, because they count up the number of points and get figures which represent how we see Girlguiding, and how we want to see it.

It is also easier for them because they are constraining how we see it and how we want to see it - both in the options, but also in that you have to use your ten points. They could have included "Girlguiding is..." and boxes to tick with strongly agree/agree/neither/disagree/strongly disagree, plus a text response for each one.
Surely if they used a standard 'strongly/slightly agree/neutral/strongly/slightly disagree' then they can just assign values 2, 1, 0, -1, -2 when totting up results at the end? I assume that's what normally happens with these kinds of surveys? <admits I know nothing about data collectingy stuff>

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
For "current status" I mainly gave high numbers to the one I didn't think they wanted to hear (so I could get to the free text box).