• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Sewing on badges to fundraise

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Has anyone done badge sewing for a fee to fundraise before? I'm considering it as a thing to make a bit of money for new programme resources, as I quite like sewing and often have a bit of TV time in the evenings when I could easily get some badges done. Not sure if it is worth it though...

If you have done it:
How much did you charge per badge and did you do bulk rates (5 for £X or whatever)?
How successful was it? How much did you make/how big was your uptake?
Did you just do it just in your unit or advertise for other local units/on Facebook/on here?

Any other tips gratefully received
Thanks!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I know a leader that does it. She doesn't work due to health issues and has time to do it. She charged 50p per badge. I don't know how much she makes, she has a full and active unit so if she sees half the badges she presents, it's not a fortune. I think she sees it as a service to busy (and cash rich, time poor) parents.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Depending on your audience:

One thing you might want to consider is potentially charging different rates for different badges. A typical interest badge doesn’t take too much time for most, but a giant laser cut puzzle style might be worth more than 50p per badge. Likewise if it’s a more delicate vintage badge that needs careful handling.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Depending on your audience:

One thing you might want to consider is potentially charging different rates for different badges. A typical interest badge doesn’t take too much time for most, but a giant laser cut puzzle style might be worth more than 50p per badge. Likewise if it’s a more delicate vintage badge that needs careful handling.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I will probably mainly be offering it to the parents of the 3 units I help at (1 Rainbows, 1 B, 1G) so it will probably just be normal interest badges.

caroline68

Regular (50+ posts)
I do!
I noticed when my son was in cubs how many badges were glued on and falling off! So when we opened our Rainbow unit 3 years ago I offered to sew on for £1 per badge, around half of our original parents took me up on this. We live in a village, so word spread, and I now do the same for the Scout unit, giving the money to them. I get asked to sew on swimming and dancing badges too!
Like you, it's a bit of sewing whilst I watch TV.
We started giving our girls a blanket when they move to Brownies and so I offer a flat fee of £10 to move their badges over to the blanket. Most parents give me more though.
They came back to me with Brownie badges too, but now the Brownie leader sews too!
There is such a variety of badges, espcially all the challenge badges, some small embroidered badges can be a nightmare to sew and some large woven ones can be a doddle, so charging more for bigger ones isn't straight forward!
Our first full year when we did loads of badges because we were new and excited!! earnt us £458 ( I was also taking scout badge money at this point too)
That dipped in 2017 to £63
So far this year we have taken £184 (blankets included now)
It all depends on whether your current parents can sew or not, but also every little helps.

I also offered sewing at an Auction of Promises held as a fundraiser for my eldest son to go to the WSJ in USA next year. Scout or Guides badges for one family for one year. Two families offered £50 each, so I said I'd do both!

If you enjoy sewing, go for it! £1 or 50p will depend on where you live. We live in an affluent village where our children are involved in numerous activites!