• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Region events

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
Hi all!

I've found myself in a group looking to run a series of region events across the next 3 years.
We have nothing planned yet (meeting at region network day to start the planning).
What events would your girls be interested in? We're not looking at badge days but more fun days, takeovers, sleepovers etc.

thanks!

Willow

Veteran (100+ posts)
Brilliant, sounds like some exciting possibilities!

We went to the Walk The Bridges event a few years ago and Science Museum evening, which were both enjoyed by the girls. The takeover aspect of the Science Museum was particularly good - a different feeling, more relaxed and lots of girls and women having a great time with science.

Our girls love the chance to go to central London.

Off the top of my head, and before speaking to the girls...

- a Girlguiding-only evening at Tate Modern
- a carnival/festival at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- some kind of giant Guide, TSS and adult wide game/treasure hunt around London

Do keep us updated.

Lilybex

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ladies FA cup finals at Wembley in August are £3 per head. The region should be linking in to sporting events like this. Would also raising the profile of guiding if it incuded having volunteer stands in the grounds and refreshment areas or working with the FA to really big up the guiding presence.

BrownOwl1970

(Newbie)
GuiderPlus
we loved the bridges too. great to do things in your own time but still a structure and meeting up with guiding friends on route and of course the LaSER celebs on the way. always love a badge too. smashing day. something similar would be great. As a leader it is great when we take over somewhere as you can just relax a little bit because you know the girls are safe.

HGarnett17

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
My rainbows would enjoy meeting with other rainbow units to takeover somewhere exciting for the day (we are NEE, Leeds county)!!!
Guides also same place would enjoy takeover or sleepover / camp with other units etc. to give them different experiences and meeting other girls. (our guide unit is very young at the moment!!

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
Bridges were brilliant. I know that TSS have done a London Monopoly Challenge, something similar would be great. Or with the Going Wild theme how about something somewhere like Kew Gardens, or at the Seaside, or Zoo?

nutty_angel

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I know my Guides would love a giant treasure hunt (if its in the dark they'll love it more!).
Anything where they get a badge will probably go down great too!

I'll ask them on Friday and will be back with any other ideas!!

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I think the key thing for me would be location. Many of the region owned sites are too far away for us to travel to easily from south Surrey. Central London is good for us because we can get the train in to Waterloo.

My Brownies are pretty much up for anything. I would love Region to do more for The Senior Section age range though. We only have 3 girls, so it would be great to get together with other groups. For them, it would need to be cheap as they don't really have any money!

I would actually love to take my Brownies to a badge day, particularly if it was a badge that was tricky to do as a unit (e.g. Watersports or something like that).

purpleturtle

Veteran (100+ posts)
Please please please do something for the Senior Section in time for Centenary. My girls have seen all the wonderful offers by the other regions (USA, Denmark, Croatia, Music festival event, city breaks) and seem so excited by it all. They're willing to travel to Scotland or Anglia to take part in these exciting things. They just don't seem excited by the LaSER offering (a democracy event)

BlueJay13

Regular (50+ posts)
Please please please do something for the Senior Section in time for Centenary. My girls have seen all the wonderful offers by the other regions (USA, Denmark, Croatia, Music festival event, city breaks) and seem so excited by it all. They're willing to travel to Scotland or Anglia to take part in these exciting things. They just don't seem excited by the LaSER offering (a democracy event)
This. As much as I'm very political, I want to have fun and relax. It's a great idea but shouldn't be the sole or main focus of the Centenary events.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
I also agree. My Rangers have absolutely no interest in the democracy event thing. We need more events that are in this country really. My Rangers can't afford to go on an international trip, and don't really have the time to do a load of fundraising. I couldn't convince them to go to the county international selection weekend because of that, even though I am a leader on one of the trips!

We are also looking to travel to go to events offered by other Regions, but we really shouldn't have to do that.

purpleturtle

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm definitely keen to take my girls to the music festival thing in Scotland and the 'gilwell24' type thing in Essex if they want to go.

Sorry we seem to have hijacked this thread

What about a real life game of monopoly in London? That would be really cool with hundreds of girls!

For a region event I would like to see all sections catered for, a takeover would be cool - our region covers so many touristy places and we should take advantage of that. A sleepover, especially for those without licences. Maybe an event to give most girls a new experience (e.g. Going to the beach)

I'm not sure if its possible but maybe a number of places allocated to each county (or an event with no limit on numbers). Our county is probably the smallest in the region and we missed out on the Chessington sleepover a few years ago because we cant buy the places and thenfind the girls later.