• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Rainbow Roundabout

I really need some guidance

I've recently taken over a unit and wanted to look at doing the rainbow roundabout but struggling to understand it can anyone shed any light please?

thanks

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Which roundabout are you looking at? There are quite a few now, some old ones with a big plastic mat with the four look learn laugh love sections in it, and the newer ones which have the four L's on cards.

Whichever you have got the idea is the same, you discuss the activities with your rainbows who decide which ones to do, you need to do at least one from each of the four sections, but you can do more and some combine well. Individual Rainbows do not have to all parts of the badge to get a badge, so if Flossie misses one or more meetings as long as she was there for part of the roundabout badges she can have a badge.

We usually put aside 5 nights for completing a roundabout, the first to choose the activities, then loosely one night each with a main theme of one of the four L's, although we do combine, perhaps with a starter or game alongside a more time consuming activity.

We have a fairly large unit so we split into two groups to look at and choose the activities, we chat about them, and the girls put tokens on the ones they like they sound of. In this way we usually have 3-4 winning activities, and we try to get as many of them into the programme.

If you have specific questions for a particular roundabout just shout!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much that's so helpful I have the original one with a mat that I have inherited.

how do you decide on which badge or roundabout to actually do?
can you incorporate it into your term that you already plan?

How often do you do a badge as there aren't many?

sorry for all the questions

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
how do you decide on which badge or roundabout to actually do?
I have got several of the roundabout packs and I tend to pick one that we haven't done for a while, although there is nothing wrong with giving rainbows a choice, perhaps between two roundabouts. I also keep an eye out for interesting challenge badges, on this forum and through our region. If I spot something that looks good I take it to the rainbows (via other leaders in the team) to ask if they want to do the badge. Again we can do 3-5 of these challenge badges in a year. So for example last term we a challenge badge in the first half term and a roundabout in the second. Some challenge badges can be done in one or two nights.

can you incorporate it into your term that you already plan?
So at Easter when our team planned the summer term programme, we had picked out a challenge badge that the rainbows had decided to do and planned the meetings in detail to cover the content, the second half looked a little 'blank' as the first night was roundabout planning night, where the rainbows picked the activities, and we read the roundabout story and had some games pencilled in. The second meeting we had planned out in advance, and the next four meetings simply said 'rainbow roundabout' as these couldn't be planned in detail until we knew what the rainbows wanted to do! Hence the second week being planned for a non roundabout night to give us time to organise/buy any craft/resources needed.

If you have already planned a term I wouldn't try to 'shoehorn' a roundabout in as well.

How often do you do a badge as there aren't many?
Originally the idea was that rainbows did one roundabout a year, but that was when there was only the three different coloured badges, so there was little point or incentive for girls to earn more, that has changed now that each roundabout has its own badge. We do 2-3 a year, depending on other challenges available.

sorry for all the questions
No need to apologise, keep them coming!

with the blue yellow and red badges do you use the same roundabout but different activities?
where do i find a list of the challenge badges?
where do i find resources for the roundabouts?

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
The blue, yellow and red badges are the old roundabout badges. These were generic, went with any of the roundabouts, and rainbows decided which colour to have (as a unit). They only got one badge for each roundabout.

There is now a separate badge for each roundabout. The current badges are specific so for example rainbows will gain the "All About Me" badge when they've completed the "All About Me" roundabout.

Challenge badges are listed on this forum and can vary in quality. You may also find challenge badges on regional guiding websites, Anglia region for example.

The roundabout packs and badges are available from the guiding online shop, and you'll be able to order through your depot. Another good idea is to swap/share roundabouts with another local rainbow unit.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
re the roundabout badges, there are now specific badges for each roundabout (rather than the old generic roundabout badge)

badges are available from your local depot or from trading, to view them on trading you need to go into the RESTRICTED area (eg you need to register and input your membership number, they arn't items that are available to the general public) - and to enter restricted area click on "my account/log in"

roundabout codes are:

roundabout rainbows (the one you are mentioning) - 1704
roundabout all about me - 1710
roundabout seasons - 1709
roundabout festivals - 1706
roundabout world - 1705
roundabout global adventures - 1708
roundabout get healthy - 1707

you can also order the roundabout resources/booklets online or from depot too. There are special offer packs that are well worth the money or you could share with other rainbow units in your area as suggested above.

ema rodriguez

LiT Rainbows
GuiderPlus
I know this is a little bit of an oldie but I've just become a Unit Leader (although still a LiT)

I offered my girls a choice between two Roundabouts - I inherited 'Rainbows' and I bought 'All About Me' from the depot. As they are only little and couldn't possibly read the whole resource books and make a really informed decision and as I was very sure they would enjoy activities from both of them I also bought one of each of the badges to show them.

I then asked them to show me smiley faces if they wanted to do x and then smiley faces if they wanted to do y - one of them wanted to do both but I ended up with a 8:3 ratio in favour of Rainbows. Then I got the mat out and they put they smiley faces on the ones they wanted to do and unhappy faces on the one they didn't - 7 chose the rubbings from LOOK and the other 3 each chose a different activity so we'll be doing Rubbings. I still need to go through the process for the other 3 sections but I thought it was a good start!

democracy works - and for the activities that the three non-conformists picked I'll try to incorporate something in other activities that reflect their choices so they don't feel like they are totally missing out.

Next term I will offer them 'All About Me' and then one of the other roundabouts - probably something not all about them….

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
the roundabouts are really good value for money as the global one is now only £4 (and comes with an inflatable globe!)

the earlier ones now also come in combined packs in trading which further makes them value for money (we bought them when them came out new at the full prices!)

in addition to the roundabouts rainbows can also do the cross sectional resources like ready steady glasgow, aim hi, together we can (and of course the big brownie birthday but most units completed that challenge by june/july of this year)

Meow

Beginner (10+ posts)
There is now a set of badges to be gained called 'Growing Up Wild', which has plenty of ideas for all sections designed to encourage girls to explore outside. There are eight pawprint badges to gain and they are a sensible size. I find that some of the challenge badges are designed for camp blankets and take up too much room on Rainbows' polo shirts. Our unit will be doing a Growing Up Wild badge in the summer term. You can find details of these badges at http://girlguidinglaser.org.uk/growingupwild/ .

rainbowb

Rainbowb
GuiderPlus
Can anyone find the "All About Me" Rainbow Roundabout on trading? I would like to order a copy but don't know where to look for it!
Thanks for your help!
rainbowb

Wizard

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
There is now a set of badges to be gained called 'Growing Up Wild', which has plenty of ideas for all sections designed to encourage girls to explore outside. There are eight pawprint badges to gain and they are a sensible size. I find that some of the challenge badges are designed for camp blankets and take up too much room on Rainbows' polo shirts. Our unit will be doing a Growing Up Wild badge in the summer term. You can find details of these badges at http://girlguidinglaser.org.uk/growingupwild/ .
Currently you can only order the badges if you are part of Laser, and even then units are struggling to get the badges. I think they massively underestimated the popularity of these challenges!

All about me is available here....
https://www.girlguidingshop.co.uk/6172-Roundabout-All-About-Me.aspx