• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Parliament Week for Rainbows

Hi, I am a novice leader....I have signed us up to UK parliament week and now it's nearly here I am panicking that my Rainbows are too young to get anything out of it!...is anyone else doing anything for parliament week? Any ideas you want to share?.....please!!!!!!!!!

Hilary240

Beginner (10+ posts)
I'm doing this with Brownies, and have a lot of young ones.

We are doing the quiz - why not give them just two alternatives, or make up your own answers, or make up some questions of your own instead; the story about paint in a classroom - no need to spend much time discussing how to solve the problem, as they will just enjoy the story; the shipwreck activity, but allowing them to keep 8 items instead of 6, and can you find a picture of a desert island, so that they have some idea of what one is like; then, if time, a brief chat about Votes for Women, and giving them the sheet to colour.

The Houses of Parliament website has loads of information about Parliament in general, and what goes on there, with lots of things to download, and print off. They publish a story booklet about a class of infant age children visiting the Houses of Parliament, which I think is downloadable, and they are happy to send you some (usually come in packs of 30) for free, they may arrive in time, they may not.

Hope this helps.

I'm doing this with Brownies, and have a lot of young ones.

We are doing the quiz - why not give them just two alternatives, or make up your own answers, or make up some questions of your own instead; the story about paint in a classroom - no need to spend much time discussing how to solve the problem, as they will just enjoy the story; the shipwreck activity, but allowing them to keep 8 items instead of 6, and can you find a picture of a desert island, so that they have some idea of what one is like; then, if time, a brief chat about Votes for Women, and giving them the sheet to colour.

The Houses of Parliament website has loads of information about Parliament in general, and what goes on there, with lots of things to download, and print off. They publish a story booklet about a class of infant age children visiting the Houses of Parliament, which I think is downloadable, and they are happy to send you some (usually come in packs of 30) for free, they may arrive in time, they may not.

Hope this helps.
Great ideas....THANK YOU!

We’re doing this. We’re doing ‘what is parliament’ and then focusing on Guy Fawke/bonfire night. They’re making big Ben’s, firework sweets and rocket book marks. I’m rolling it in with vote 100 the next week and looking at some of the why vote/is it fair activities from that scheme.

We read the story that Hilary240 mentioned then had a Quiz night which the girls seemed to love. We finished by asking each Quiz team to put forward an idea for a new law they would like to propose and held a secret ballot to decide which law was the best. It was a really successful night!