• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

New Programme resource funding

Can anyone tell me where I might get some help to fund the new resources needed to set up the new programme? Our units are hoping to start the new programme in the New Year but our funds are really low (we have to pay £30 per week rent !!) we meet in a deprived area and are really going to struggle buying all the packs. Anyone with any ideas where I could go for help would be appreciated

Ech18

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have a look in this months guiding mag in the myth busting section! There was the web link for the grant application I think.

2 ideas I’ve had:

More well off units could do a spot of sponsoring so for example you help at their Christmas fair and get 1/2 the profit.

Pool resources if you really can’t afford a set per unit?l, join up with a few other units if you can and have a set between you. Is better to have 1 of all rather than 4 the same! Speak to your Division Commisioner as this would work better at that level (not too far to travel to pick things up but enough units to make it work).

Look at council grants too and the supermarket schemes are amazing, get you name on the waiting lists but again if group up with other units and you might have more chance.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
You could do a bag pack - this raises a few hundred pounds in a single day. Instead of supermarkets, think about shops with between two and five tills. It's so much easier, and you still get a good amount. Get the parents on board by explaining that you are trying to cover the costs of the new programme without asking them for more money.

For funding rather than fundraising, try the local Lions, Rotary or Soroptomists clubs. Google your town + grants for children, as that can bring up local funding. Local councillors have funds for their areas, so it might be worth looking into that too - in my area, we can only use the funds to make a difference to the outside areas of the locality (new street signs, Christmas lighting, etc), so we couldn't apply in my town, but the criteria is different according to the council.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Do any local businesses have any schemes that provide grants for local organisations. Work out the cost of your wish list ( it may be say £250) but that is easier to ask for than an open ended request. Push the STEM aspects, engineering and IT firms may be more disposed to help as it helps getting girls involved.

Do any parents work for firms that do match funding so you raise £10 they match it..

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
You could do a bag pack - this raises a few hundred pounds in a single day. Instead of supermarkets, think about shops with between two and five tills. It's so much easier, and you still get a good amount. Get the parents on board by explaining that you are trying to cover the costs of the new programme without asking them for more money.
Just be aware that some supermarkets are starting to bring in rules where you need to have a charity number to do bagpacking in stores... I've seen it talked about a few times.

If you have a Tesco, Coop or Asda nearby, you could always apply for one of their token schemes, but many grants panels will only meet a few times a year, so you may have missed out on funding to be in place before January.

But as someone else said - 2 x Skills Builders (Pick two at random) and a UMA pack is less than £10

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
You definitely don’t need to buy everything all at once! My Brownies have because it’s a big unit with a fairly healthy bank balance and could afford the initial outlay (I know how lucky we are!) but some of the SB in particular won’t get used for possibly 2 years!

Did you get the test UMAs that were sent out free last year? And there’s an extra one per section in the latest magazine. That’s a good, free starting point! I would probably recommend choosing a couple of SB and if possible the other 2 UMA packs.

If there’s another local unit then try and see if you can share resources. Even if it’s the section above or below yours some of the SB overlap.