• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Might the Ranger Programme work?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
From the day they were first invented in 1917, Senior Guides/Rangers have tried to fulfil two purposes, but struggled:

a) Be a kind of 'finishing school' for girls who have completed the Guide (and often Brownie) programmes
b) Be a section for girls joining Guiding 'cold' at age 14 or over with no previous Guiding experience.

And over the years, the programme has flip-flopped between two distinct ideas, to try to cater for them all:

c) A system of badges and major awards to aim at
d) A social club with a range of leisure activities

In trying to cater for young women with such different levels of prior Guiding experience, and who want such different things from the group, the problem with many of the past programmes is that they have catered for girls who want either option c, or want option d, but have not managed to cater for both. This has impacted on the Guiding drop-out rate at age 14. Does the current programme stand a chance of catering for those who want to gain awards, and those who want to do fun activities with friends?

AnotherOwl

Beginner (10+ posts)
I think that from what I've seen so far of the Ranger programme (only 1 pack of UMAs to be fair - but also all guides skills builders and a bit of ranger's SBs, and the Rangers interest badges - waiting for grant money to come through to buy other resources) I think they are quite good so far with having good badges but also UMAs that seem fun. We went through the UMA pack at our last meeting for the first time and the girls seemed really keen on quite a lot of the activities (lots of food!). However I don't think I've seen enough stuff to properly judge though.

Personally I don't know any Rangers who have come with no previous guiding experience - they have all been Guides who got too old. It would be interesting to see the figures for complete new starters vs moving up the sections for all sections.

Looking forward to seeing other's opinions.

Glimfeather

Beginner (10+ posts)
We haven't started yet as I currently have no Rangers, but have a cohort moving up from Guides in February. I'm looking forward to starting completely fresh with them

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Anecdote from a Ranger (one of my former Rainbows, excuse me while I feel old): their leader had been 'making' them prepare for silver DofE week after week and they got so bored with it they dug in their heels and demanded to do some of the new programme. The result is much happier girls making choices for themselves and feeling better about staying on.

Sunny2nd

Guide and Ranger Leader
GuiderPlus
They seem to be engaging with the new activities, at least, anything with a fire and/or food and they are happy. Though also will sit round a table making or doing something whilst they chat.

AnotherOwl

Beginner (10+ posts)
They seem to be engaging with the new activities, at least, anything with a fire and/or food and they are happy. Though also will sit round a table making or doing something whilst they chat.
Yes - ours seemed to really enjoy the can cooker (or whatever it's called) UMA, at least they managed to make it fill pretty much a whole meeting rather than the stated 30 mins. Who knew hot pineapple chunks dipped in melted chocolate was so nice?