• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Leader Top Colour

Hiya,
I need to buy a new leader polo shirt as my old one is a. too big and b. older than most of the girls! I currently have the navy one but am considering the white one. I have rarely seen people wearing the white one and was wondering why this might be - is it particularly see-through? My old leader used to have the white one and I don't remember it being see-through! Please could you let me know which you prefer and why?

Also, how does the polo shirt size nowadays? My old one sized fairly normally but I have since had the long and short sleeved shirts and both are wildly different despite apparently being the same size.

Thank you very much!

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Easy bit first, buy slightly bigger.
I have a white one and it has gone very grey under the arms, even though I use one of those anti-perspirants that claims this won't happen. At least on navy that wouldn't show.

helenfelen

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have a white one as i just prefer it for some reason- it's the same fabric as the navy so quite thick & warm but not see through at all. think it's mostly preference as white gets dirty more easily possibly. although i find it shrinks in the wash slightly and is not overly flattering, i tend to prefer the informal wear during meetings as it feels nicer on but will wear my official polo on promises & events etc.

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
I didn’t find the white one to be see through at all

By some strange chance, the Brownie leaders I help with all wear white and the Guide leaders I help with all wear navy.

I personally prefer navy, especially for anything messy

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I have both, and I buy my usual dress size, it was a little clingy at first but soon gives. Navy is much better. I find my white one is quite see through but also much longer than my navy one, not sure if I just got a dodgy batch. White is good for the summer term though, especially this year!

Snowflake1

Beginner (10+ posts)
I was so pleased when they brought out navy polo shirts as I get a white top dirty very quickly! So for me it’s navy as it looks as if I keep it cleaner longer! My assistant who wasn’t around when only white were available really wanted white, purchased white but within 3 months was telling me she is definitely having navy next as there is a mark on her white top she can’t get out so it looks dirty when not! Most leaders in my area wear navy for that same reason.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I wear navy, as it doesn't show the dirt! My tops do get washed regularly, but if I manage to get marks on them during meetings, they don't show the same way as they would on a white top. Also, I'd have to remember to wear a white bra (or at least, a pale colour), if I wore white. With navy, it doesn't matter what colour I wear. Most of my bras are deep colours as that's what I prefer, so although I have a white one, I don't have to think 'Oh yes, I must dig it out!' twice a week.

Gizz

Regular (50+ posts)
I have both and recently bought a new navy one. The decade old navy one is much shorter than the old one and is very faded, which isn’t so apparent with my white one (also 10 years old!). That said, I only wear the white one when I am certain it won’t get mucky- therefore it doesn’t come on camp much!

Ech18

Veteran (100+ posts)
I can only wear the navy, I think about buying a white one and then promptly dry my hands down my top and forgot that idea!

The new essentials states the White is 100% cotton and the Navy 60% cotton and 40% polyester.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
Hiya,
I need to buy a new leader polo shirt as my old one is a. too big and b. older than most of the girls! I currently have the navy one but am considering the white one. I have rarely seen people wearing the white one and was wondering why this might be - is it particularly see-through? My old leader used to have the white one and I don't remember it being see-through! Please could you let me know which you prefer and why?

Also, how does the polo shirt size nowadays? My old one sized fairly normally but I have since had the long and short sleeved shirts and both are wildly different despite apparently being the same size.

Thank you very much!
had white originally, then a replacement white and am now on navy. Where I do the little ones, the white top seemed to get dirtier/mark up more easily, but if you are careful marks can be bleached out of the white top (just not the collar obviously). White one, because I wash it with the 'white' washing has collar fade quite quickly and seems to crease more. Both just the same thickness wise, both seem as hot in summer (thought white wouldn't feel as hot, but I noticed no noticable difference). So in short, I think there is very little difference and it is just down to personal preference.

I have to say, my old navy polo was horribly faded and embarrassingly short after only 3 years. I bought a new one which was much softer, much longer, and a far better fit!

And personally, I don't understand the reason for the white one at all! Why not a very pale blue like the button up shirt? But that's just me.