• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

How do I get paid to do this !

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ladies- having a bit of a job crisis at the moment. Had several jobs recently but none of them are ticking the right boxes.

Anyone got any good suggestions for jobs that use some of the skills we have as Guide leaders? I currently work in for financial services but I think I need i need a total change of direction.

Ech18

Veteran (100+ posts)
Maybe write down what you really enjoy/ are good at in the Leader aspect, that might help with keyword searches.

I personally found that trainee management was a close match
I.e Apprentice training and general getting them to the correct opportunity for work placement. This was based on the needs of the business and their needs/desire. Coupled with the ability to use my own knowledge to run trainings etc. Oh magic resources and team building ideas out of nowhere!

You could use your current skills but in a different way so might not be such a huge descision to make.

AnotherOwl

Regular (50+ posts)
Like Ech said, I think it is important to think about what you personally enjoy and are good at within your role as a leader.

For example, it could be:
Working directly with young people - which age group?
Planning/organizing events
Training or managing other adults
Administration/accounts

I realise it is likely to be a mixture of these and others and also you are unlikely to find a job which fits something perfectly (unfortunately!) but this could be a good starting point.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don’t know if this would work for you, but could you afford to do compressed hours at your job (or even just go part time) and have a day off a week to volunteer somewhere?
Or could you ask around at work - perhaps your company has a CSR scheme and you could be a CSR champion/other lame title, which would involve you organising a charity volunteering day or fundraising activity for your team. This has the benefit of making you look super involved with work as you are taking on additional responsibility.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think when you distill the skills that we gain as leaders, project management and event management come to mind. Even working in the hospitality industry as we are effectively serving customers and ensuring the event/s are up to scratch.

There may not be a perfect role but don't dismiss the skills that you have acquired and putting them into a CV in more corporate phrases may pay dividends.

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks for the replies- some food for thought.

Hopefully this might be useful to anyone else job hunting. As leaders we acquire so many skill but on my CV at the moment Guiding comes under the heading of Hobbies and Interests. I'm sure lots of us totally underestimate the skills we have,that could be used the work place .It would be great to be able to put Voluneering Skills in pride of place as for me and lots of others, they are skills we have learnt off our own backs and unpaid and , very often on-the-job.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Take your current role in Guiding and create a list of the skills used. So do you manage a staff team? Do you lead training sessions? Are you confident at public speaking and presentations? Events organisation? Bookkeeping? Secretarial? Do you have outdoor adventure qualifications? Do you plan and run music activity sessions? Think about each thing you do in the unit, and what category it would fit into in the 'outside world'.

Of those roles you uncover, which do you especially enjoy doing? What sorts of posts would be related?

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
Ladies- having a bit of a job crisis at the moment. Had several jobs recently but none of them are ticking the right boxes.

Anyone got any good suggestions for jobs that use some of the skills we have as Guide leaders? I currently work in for financial services but I think I need i need a total change of direction.
I recently started considering event management as something that I now have rather solid skills in, after organising camps for both units and district!

I currently work in design and advertising, but a related role is studio or design manager, and I think my Girlguiding skills (and industry knowledge) would give me a solid basis for shifting that way if I wanted to.

If it's the working with young people and planning activities you enjoy most, what about looking at companies that provide activity weeks/weekends?

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Probably a minor part of the Guider job but I've had to do really simple risk assessments for work only today I had to do a MUCH more complex one to cover a programme of work that will last 2 years. I based it not on my previous RAs at work but on all the RAs I've had to do for camp... with adventurous activities... the adverse outcomes were much less adverse and the risk (owing to Guides not being involved!) were much lower, too!

There are also quite a lot of national child activity companies that either employ local teachers (e.g. toddler swimming) or sell franchises (e.g. crafty activities) - if you want weekday/daytime work then toddler age group or if you don't mind afternoons/weekends, then school age.