• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Glasgow Science Centre

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm taking 16 girls to this on February 5th. They are so excited and keep asking questions ie where will we sleep? Other than saying on the floor, don't know much else.

Anyone been? And give any info or handy tips?

Thanks x

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We're about to apply. Haven't been to the centre but if it's like sleepovers elsewhere, then yes, they'll be sleeping on the floor. It may be next to/within exhibits, but they will bring all their bedding (I'd suggest adults at least might want to plan for taking foam camping mats or self-inflating mattresses)!

How soon did you hear about places?

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Called them last week, and there was still places, sent cheque off yesterday. So hoping everything is fine, as will have lots of disappointed girls if not!

bess342

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've just heard after emailing I've got spaces for 5th. been 2 weeks. Was told official confirmation not out till after 30th Nov. To guarantee space cheque for full amount needs to accompany application form. Also more details will follow after 30th.

waltham

Brown Owl
GuiderPlus
We have been to sleepovers at the Science Museum in London, and if this is similar they supply foam mats. You sleep on the floor in the halls, and amongst the exhibits. One year we have two mini cars overhead, which the brownies were not very thrilled about, and kept remarking that they hoped that they did not fall down during the night!

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just had an email to say we have our places. Woohoo.
Girls will be so excited tonight when I tell them. Look forward to seeing any units attending.

Jane Thin

Veteran (100+ posts)
I attended as an extra pair of hands last year. Each unit was allocated an area or floor depending on how many girls they had. After that we were just left to space ourselves out as we liked between the exhibits. No mats were provided - we all had our own foam mats / li-los etc. Get yourselves near the glass wall, cos the view along the Clyde and the lights on the Hydro and Squinty Bridge were fab! (and don't place yourselves between big groups and the stairs to the loos!)
Enjoy
:)

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Email came in today, to say that it was now full. But if anyone still interested they were to contact name in email.

My girls are so excited. We had provisionally been told we had spaces, so fingers crossed

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We're waiting to hear, so fingers crossed - the girls will be mighty disappointed if we can't go - I might have to think about a plan B in case it's needed!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Have now heard - we didn't get. If you hear a lot of weeping and wailing on Monday night, you'll know we've told them . . .

Now looking to see if I can get an alternative option in place, to soften the blow a little . . .

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
So sorry to hear that. I would hate to have to tell girls they weren't going, after I made it sound so much fun.
Hope you can do something else exciting

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Heard from a guider who went to last nights sleepover. Girls had a fab time. Ours are so looking forward t it.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
We got a cancellation place - real last minute rush with the paperwork, and a bit of a worry over weather and trains, but it was great! Happy to offer hints/advice to anyone going this weekend.

maz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Fantastic night. Thanks to all the organisers and helpers.
Tips
Get money off girls at start of night.....saves hunting through all the bags at shop time.
Bring a bag to put purchases in, unless the wearing it! Give out items at bedtime.
State only 1 bag! Mine don't listen to this either......you would have thought they away for a week!
Always q at toilet, so bring baby wipes for washing with.
Don't expect much sleep! Got about 2 hours.
Would I do it again? YES X

Groovee

Veteran (100+ posts)
I went with another unit who needed help. Felt it was really well run. Took the money off the girls at the start so we didn't need to return to the bags. Found the programme well organised from start to finish. Our girls settled quickly but some other units seemed to let their girls run riot after lights out which resulted in other leaders getting cross. Did laugh when I forgot to take my meds so went downstairs to the light and found a leader telling her girls that unless they settled to sleep she wouldn't consider another pack holiday. Only complaint was I felt freezing so had to wear my fleece all night. Really hope it gets offered again.

bess342

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I'd agree with the above only other comment was why was lights out so late midnight very late for 7 year olds. I had mine ready and quite for 11 and they kept asking when was lights out. Group next to us run riot until after midnight when leaders finally appeared. Then left bags upstairs on floors in morning although they saw everyone else taking them downstairs. Only complaint my girls had was sleeping re above. They all wanted sleepover to last longer at least 2-3 nights.