• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Edinburgh recommendations please

Elaine-Melanie

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am travelling to Edinburgh for a week mid June and plan to visit The Castle, Royal Yatch and Arthurs Seat...what other recommendations are there, something a little quirky and off the tourist route for attractions and places to eat...thanks.

mogs79

Veteran (100+ posts)
I enjoy the Chamber Street museums, good to dip into when you have a few minutes spare.

Walking along the waters of Leith from Deans Village to the modern art gallery. Trip up Carlton Hill, stroll down the Grassmarket,

Depending on exactly when you are up in June, there's the Royal Highland Show at Ingleston. Take the bus up from Queen Street and save traffic stress.

Surgeons Hall is very interesting, if a little macabre. I'm taking other people's word for it.

Botanical gardens

There are odd little pockets around the city that you come across randomly which can be wonderful. The roof garden of the National Museum of Scotland, the courtyard of the writers' museum, gardens on the High Street, the archivists garden at General Register House.

Some of the areas near Edinburgh are underrated. There's the seabird centre at North Berwick which has cameras on the Bass Rock to see the gannets or you can take boat trips around the island which is pretty cool. I saw puffins. Still impressed years later. Roslin Chapel if you want to channel your inner Dan Brown. It's expensive, but really quite something. North Queensferry for the aquarium, bits of the Fife coastal path. South Queensferry and you can walk towards Hopetoun House under all three bridges, fantastic view of the rail bridge from the beach. Tunnels at Gilmerton Cove, skittles at the Sheepheid in Duddingston, outdoor sculpture at Jupiter Artland, great walking in the Pentlands.

Foodwise, I would avoid most places on the Royal Mile, although for a cheap, quick lunch there are places nearby which can be great- the jacket potato shop at the top of Cockburn Street does a lovely veggie haggis samosa (weird I know, but it works) or the Pie-maker is good. In the New Town I've had good meals at the dogs on Hanover Street, great cocktails in a basement bar called Brambles on Queen Street but half the fun is finding your own little places! Have a lovely time!

Brown9

Veteran (100+ posts)
We really enjoyed the bus tours and the Royal Yatch Brittania a few years ago. The bus ticket for the 3 tours did feel we had over done it but it covered 24hrs so we did the 3rd tour the next morning before it ran out.
We really only spent a couple of days in the city and went out to places like stirling castle, Loch Lomand etc Think you could get a bus trip out of the city if you don't have transport.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
There are lots of little parks and gardens if the weather is nice, areas with small local shops like Morningside, Bruntsfield or Stockbridge. A lot of the museums are free - the national museum on Chambers Street is well worth a visit, and the portrait gallery has wonderful architecture and decoration. I'd also suggest popping into the Royal Bank branch in St Andrew Square and having a look at the ceiling . . .

Day tickets for the local bus company (just buy them on board) allow you to hop on and off buses all day for a flat rate fare, which saves on the walking.

Out of town, the Seabird Centre at North Berwick is well worth a visit in itself, but you can also combine it with a boat trip out to the islands to see the birds close-up.

Heathera

Regular (50+ posts)
If you're going to Britannia, they have a lovely tea room on board. As you'll be in Leith anyway, there are also loads of great restaurants (particularly if you like seafood), and Mimi's Bakehouse is also worth a trip.

Depending on when you're going, you might also be able to go to something in the Edinburgh International Film Festival

If you're going to be touring around, I'd also recommend a trip to see The Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel but within the city, I've heard Gilmerton Cove is really great (although you need to book).